Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Due to limited functionality, am unable to determine issue.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 William Pistulka

William Pistulka

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hello, I am Bill and am in need of some assistance I believe.
I mistakenly posted incorrectly and here is the corrected re-post.

I have read the Preg guide and have complied with 1 through 5
6. downloaded dds.scr and it will not run (error message says "An unknown error has occurred. The program will be terminated." I deleted it, and reinstalled it to ensure it was not bad/corrupted. [I have ability to use a jump drive still]
I also have a log file from HiJackThis program I was able to get on the computer, I don't know if I should upload it, so I will wait on that.
7.I downloaded rootrepeal and have the log

Before I came here I was unable to use the task manager as it was saying "Disabled by Administrator" but I used a fix to get that function back.
I do not have access to cmd.exe, internet explorer will not connect, neither will Firefox. Windows Update is also inoperative.
I noticed the original anti-virus was not working, so with a jump drive, I was able to uninstall the old and reinstall Avast Anti-virus. I can not get it to connect to get a virus database with it though.
The desktop is disabled and when I looked at what was selected for use, there is a icon of a black screen with "You are Infected" in red caps. I am unable to change it to anything else. (the desktop is not displaying it, as it is just displaying the "restore my active desktop"

Now I am here, I am following the guide and will wait for instructions and not attempt anything else till then.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ark.txt   4.27KB   6 downloads

Edited by William Pistulka, 30 October 2009 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 William Pistulka

William Pistulka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Good Morning m0le,

Last night, after spending several days reading the forums here, I actually managed to get the computer repaired. I was going to post a thank you and no help needed, but you beat me here.
I have to say, Thank You anyways, due to all the information and advice that is available here, I was able to get rid of the issue and restore the computer to its original state.
No easy task and I think I am going to stick around and see if I can learn how to do this for my friends and family.
I build/repair computers, website design, and some forum mod, but this stuff is very daunting to say the least. At least it was prior to reading the forums.

Again, my apology for the slow reply! I was up to 2 AM or so restoring the computer.

Thanks!!

PS,
If I can ever be of assistance, let me know!

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

Good news :(

I think the resources here are top notch too.

Cheers,

m0le
Posted Image

#5 William Pistulka

William Pistulka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

:D
Do you know how often the slots come open for the malware removal program? Just curious to see how often I need to come back to check. :(
Bill

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

They come up as and when students either drop out or get promoted. I know they are really subscribed and it is just a matter of checking regularly. A quick daily click would work the best.

Sorry, I have nothing more helpful to tell you :(

There are other sites that do the training (though they may be full too). Check with them anyway, here's a list of training programs

Good luck :(
Posted Image

#7 William Pistulka

William Pistulka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks!!!

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :(

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users