Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormally high CPU and noise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CoralReef

CoralReef

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hi there.
My problem is this new computer gets extremely noisy very quickly and I am wondering if there's something I can tweak to make things at least a little better or if I have to realize that I wasted money and will never be able to do anything on here.
It just takes Mozilla with a facebook Playfish game on for the CPU to reach 23%! and at 23% the machine starts go noisy, so noisy I can hardly stand it. I tried to play another type of game (LOST) but of course the thing sounds like it's going to explode. Even watching a video is hard task because of the background noise. What is worse, during each of these operation the CPU goes up to 80%, 90% or even 100%, something that with my older computers never used to happen not even using torrents, winmx, watching movies and whatnot al together.
Please, help?

My system:

Name SO Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Produttore SO Microsoft Corporation
Produttore sistema MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
Modello sistema MS-7528
Tipo sistema PC basato su X86
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2675 Mhz
Versione/data BIOS American Megatrends Inc. V1.2, 03/07/2008
Versione SMBIOS 2.5
Directory Windows C:\WINDOWS
Directory System C:\WINDOWS\system32
Periferica di avvio \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Italia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Versione = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Memoria fisica totale 4.096,00 MB
Memoria fisica disponibile 1,91 GB
Memoria virtuale totale 2,00 GB
Memoria virtuale disponibile 1,96 GB
Paging 4,84 GB
File di paging C:\pagefile.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

hi,,,, have you looked to see which process is using the most cpu in task manager,,, when you have established which one or more it is post the names back here,,,
and what make and model pc is it as i could not make out what your spec list says,,, sorry :thumbsup:
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 30 October 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

hi,,,, have you looked to see which process is using the most cpu in task manager,,, when you have established which one or more it is post the names back here,,,
and what make and model pc is it as i could not make out what your spec list says,,, sorry :thumbsup:
good luck.

Thanks for answering. The process is usually Firefox but only because that one is the one I refuse to NOT use. If I try to use other programs such as games or movie players or heavier programs the noise becomes difficult to bear. Thing is, almost any program soon reaches 23% CPU usage which is the point where the computer starts to roar like a helicopter (well, almost).

As far as the model of the pc, can you please tell me where to look in order to have the exact info?

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:09 AM

hi,,,, most pc's now have a program known as PWM installed on the mobo for the heatsink fan to ramp up when under load
http://www.jmcproducts.com/products/pwm_fans/pwm_faq.shtml
this can also be affected by the fan and the heatsink block being clogged with crud and dust,,,, the temps raise quickly and the PWM kicks in and ramps the fan up to keep it all cool,,,,, open the case and clean out the hsf and all the bits with a can of compressed air,,,, make sure the tower is unplugged and you are grounded (earthed), do not blow in the case as its like spitting on eletrical parts,,, they dont like it.
also check that the heatsink block is fermly attached to the mobo ontop of the processor,,,
to find the make and model of the pc,,, type "system information" into start menu search box and its all in there,,,, like it says mine is a HP deaktop and then the model number,,, where as yours could be a Dell or Acer,,,etc,,,, also take a look in the startup and see how many apps are running on boot,,,, type msconfig into search box hit enter,,, when window opens click on start up,,,, count how many have a little tick next to it,,,,, also in task manager,, how many processes are running when idle,,,, thanks
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Some motherboards have Cool N Quiet technology which underclocks the processor. Disable it in the BIOS.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

to find the make and model of the pc,,, type "system information" into start menu search box and its all in there,,,, like it says mine is a HP deaktop and then the model number,,, where as yours could be a Dell or Acer,,,etc

Thank you.
I typed system information but the list I got was the one I already posted in my first post - I'm going to try and translate the few words that are in Italian:

Operative System name - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version - 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System productor - MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System model - MS-7528
Type of system - computer based on X86
Processor - x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2675 Mhz
Version/BIOS - American Megatrends Inc. V1.2, 03/07/2008
SMBIOS version - 2.5
Hardware Abstraction Layer Versione = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total physical memory - 4.096,00 MB
Available physical memory - 2,37 GB
Total virtual memory - 2,00 GB
Available virtual memory - 1,96 GB
Paging file space - 4,84 GB
Paging file name - C:\pagefile.sys

Also, looking in control panel I found these info that look simpler and maybe more appropriate?

Computer:
Intel ® Core™ Quad CPU
Q9400 @2.66GHz
2.68 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

also take a look in the startup and see how many apps are running on boot,,,, type msconfig into search box hit enter,,, when window opens click on start up,,,, count how many have a little tick next to it

13 processes have a tick next to them - do I have to write the names?

also in task manager,, how many processes are running when idle,,,, thanks

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by idle? Like now in task manager I see 39 processes are running, I'm only using Firefox and nothing more than this page. CPU in these conditions is 0% and the computer is quiet. As soon as I open a little game or some more Mozilla windows though, things start go crazy let alone if i watch a movie >_<

Thank you for your help :thumbsup:

Edited by CoralReef, 31 October 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

hi,,,, the think with the ticks next to them are programs that run on the start of the pc,,,,, 13 for a quad core with 4gb (3.2 used on 32 bit system) is no problem,,, when i first got my pc which is also a quad with 4gb of ram there were 30 on startup and all ran ok,,,, but you can stop the ones you dont need or want,,, all you need on startup are your security programs,,, your AV and Firewall and Malware scaner like windows defender,,,, just un tick the ones you dont want,,, if you dont know what they are then google it,,,,,

looking at your system specs,,,, is this pc a home build or a shop built computer,,,ie,,, did a shop make it,,,, as there is no brand name, like say Dell,,, Packard Bell,,, Hewlett Packard,,, Acer,,, and more,,,, all i can see is the brand of the mother board which is MSI,,,, and does the pc have a Graphics card or is it running off onboard Graphics ???
as games and video editing/viewing will have issues when there is no graphics card,,,, you will get limited gaming ability,,
in the system information window click on components then display and copy and paste the info back here,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

hi,,,, the think with the ticks next to them are programs that run on the start of the pc,,,,, 13 for a quad core with 4gb (3.2 used on 32 bit system) is no problem,,, when i first got my pc which is also a quad with 4gb of ram there were 30 on startup and all ran ok,,,, but you can stop the ones you dont need or want,,, all you need on startup are your security programs,,, your AV and Firewall and Malware scaner like windows defender,,,, just un tick the ones you dont want,,, if you dont know what they are then google it,,,,,

looking at your system specs,,,, is this pc a home build or a shop built computer,,,ie,,, did a shop make it,,,, as there is no brand name, like say Dell,,, Packard Bell,,, Hewlett Packard,,, Acer,,, and more,,,, all i can see is the brand of the mother board which is MSI,,,, and does the pc have a Graphics card or is it running off onboard Graphics ???
as games and video editing/viewing will have issues when there is no graphics card,,,, you will get limited gaming ability,,
in the system information window click on components then display and copy and paste the info back here,,,
good luck.

Thanks again for your time :thumbsup:

Yes, it's a shop built computer. They had a few types and I specifically asked for something that would allow me to play graphically heavy games such as Lost. The graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

hi,,,, with Nvidia cards its the second number to take notice of,,, yours is a 9400,,, an 8600 is the better card in this respect,,, a better card for you would have been maybe an 8800 or a 9800,, these would have managed any games happily,,,, even so the cpu fan should not be ramping up so quickly when in game play,,, i have just played COD4 online for 3 hours with no problems at all,,, quiet as a mouse,,,
so if all the start up apps are not over the top and your only running a medium spec game with a dedicated gfx card and the hsf ramps up after only minuets,,, i recon the heatsink is 1/ not seated right on the processor,,,, 2/ clogged up with crud and dirt,,, 3/ no thermal paste was used on the hsf when it was built,,, so you need to take a look in this area,,,, get a can of compressed air and blow out the heatsink block,,, check if the fittings to the heat sink are snapped home and tightened,,,, if its lack of thermal paste then you need to take this back to the shop and take it up with them,,,,,,,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 CoralReef

CoralReef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

hi,,,, with Nvidia cards its the second number to take notice of,,, yours is a 9400,,, an 8600 is the better card in this respect,,, a better card for you would have been maybe an 8800 or a 9800,, these would have managed any games happily,,,, even so the cpu fan should not be ramping up so quickly when in game play,,, i have just played COD4 online for 3 hours with no problems at all,,, quiet as a mouse,,,
so if all the start up apps are not over the top and your only running a medium spec game with a dedicated gfx card and the hsf ramps up after only minuets,,, i recon the heatsink is 1/ not seated right on the processor,,,, 2/ clogged up with crud and dirt,,, 3/ no thermal paste was used on the hsf when it was built,,, so you need to take a look in this area,,,, get a can of compressed air and blow out the heatsink block,,, check if the fittings to the heat sink are snapped home and tightened,,,, if its lack of thermal paste then you need to take this back to the shop and take it up with them,,,,,,,,,,,
good luck.

Thank you for the very accurate informations :flowers: I wasn't completely happy about buying that type of computer and next time I will just follow my instinct...I will certainly do as you suggest in the next few days and then report back here :thumbsup:

Edited by CoralReef, 02 November 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#11 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

Buying a built PC for gaming is not unusual, most high street stuff just cant handle them!

Usual causes for Intel setups is the Heatsink not sitting properly or the thermal paste hasn't been applied correctly. If the heatsink is the standard Intel one (it will have a sticker in the middle of it), then it would have had a pre-applied paste. For gaming I would always recommend a higher spec CPU fan for gaming use anyway.

There is always the small chance the motherboard fan control is faulty as the fans are variable speed but the shop would find changing the CPU fan the cheaper option to try first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users