Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resized my Partitions Causes Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hello Bleepers :thumbsup:

I wanted to do some disk management on my laptop. This is a dual boot configuration with 2 copies of XP. I had 3 partitions on a 40GB Hard drive and wanted to reduce to 2.

ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION

1st Partition - NTFS Primary, approx. 18 GB - Windows XP Pro VER1
2nd Partition - NTFS Primary, approx. 12 GB - Windows XP Pro VER2, minimal services and programs (**I use this only for a few memory instensive apps**)
3rd Partition - FAT32 Logical, approx. 8 GB - Data & Misc. files

I then proceeded to use the GParted LiveCD to manage my partitions. I booted to the CD and got the console. I then proceeded to do the following in this order:

1) Delete the FAT32 partition
2) Delete the extended partition (where the Data drive was stored as a logical)
3) Resized & moved the 12 GB VER2 partition. First, I extended it into ALL of the unallocated space left by the deletion of the FAT32 partition. Then, I moved it to the "right" to leave some unallocated space before it so I can extend my VER1 partition.
4) Resized the 20 GB VER1 partition into ALL of the unallocated space just before the VER2 partition.

Proceeded to apply all actions, then GParted did its thing for about 1 hour and it completed successfully with no errors.

NEW CONFIGURATION

1st Partition - NTFS Primary, approx. 21 GB - Windows XP Pro VER1
2nd Partition - NTFS Primary, approx. 18 GB - Windows XP Pro VER2

I can boot into the 1st partition without a problem. However, when I try and boot into VER2, I cannot get to the Login screen and my username never comes up. The hard drive stops spinning and it just hangs there.

I've tried the following and nothing works:
- System Restore from the Recovery Console
- FIXBOOT and FIXMBR
- CHKDSK, no errors found on either partition.

Any thoughts on how to get this back? Thanks in advance. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users