Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turning itself on?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Firecraacker

Firecraacker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

My PC was turning itself on a few times in the late hours of the night.. I shut down a few minutes later it would turn back on again. It eventually stopped, but this morning when I turned my pc back on it turned off twice by itself after loading windows finally stayed on and I got a 'your pc has recovered from a serious system error' (wording may not be accurate it was early but it's the basic message) Any thoughts on what could have happened? Is there anything I should check into, fix? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

Go into your BIOS and check for any Wake-On options that are enabled and disable them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Firecraacker

Firecraacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

Okay well the external modem wakeup was enabled.... whatever that is :flowers:... but this all happened last night besides that it's never happened before. Also I keep hearing the fan get pretty loud suddenly then it will stop.. it started going pretty loud when I entered the BIOS.. :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

If you have it on your computer whenever the CPU usage increase it starts to generate more heat
The speed of the fan will increase to cool it down more
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
When is the last time you cleaned out the dust bunnies?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Firecraacker

Firecraacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

It's a desktop and it's funny you say dust that's the first thing I check I thought perhaps the fan was clogged up with dust but there was barely any which is why I'm confused... I was fiddling around with things today and I checked my security scans and during the times of my pc start up last night I see Intrusion Prevention and today a lot of the same thing as well with Unauthorized Access logged... I'm not sure if all of this is related but I've never even seen an Intrusion Prevention or Unauthorized Access logged in my security scans before...

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

The computer is probably possessed by a demon...oops I mean it may have a virus. Either that, or the power button header on the motherboard is short-circuiting.
As for the CPU fan, you may have a loose bearing. I had that problem in my laptop and it was making a grinding noise, but it corrected itself.

Edited by RainbowSix, 31 October 2009 - 01:34 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

If you suspect some malware or a virus, post in our Am I Infected forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users