Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A SOLUTION to the problem of SUDDENLY NEEDING PASSWORDS.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

I got into trouble using an application (whose name I have been asked not to mention here) to eradicate some nasty Mal ware. The Windows, "you have no virus protection" warning which puts a little red Shield with a white X in it, into the tray of Windows XP, is hijacked by some mal ware program which deteriorates the performance of your machine to the point of usability in a few hours, caused me to search the net for a solution.

I found a freeware program that claims to do just this -- and does, and has many times for me since this originally happened. Only, you shouldn't just tell your partner/companion to run this application unless he or she is adept in these areas. Bottom line, A PASSWORD WAS SUDDENLY REQUIRED IN ORDER TO LOG IN! None of the IDs on the system ever needed a password before. There seemed to be no way to get around it. Further, I could never get the recovery console running because it claims I had no hard drive!

SO WHAT I DID: I brought the system up in safe mode, saying, "revert to last known good condition", a paraphrasing of an option available upon the selection of safe mode. I'm not sure whether this uses the last restore point or what, but up and running clean. Thanks for all that helped digging into this problem.

-- the stranded Captain Pike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users