Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OldNick

OldNick

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:11 PM

I recently did a system restore to a couple of days back. Annoyingly, Undong ghe Restore did not fix the problems

(1) I have lost 75% of my Uninstall listing in Control Panel
(2) I had some trial versions of software that have suddenly "expired"
(3) Programmes that were installed well and truly before the point I restored to now keep trying to reinstall themselves when I want to run them
_ironically, a couple of them are among the few that still show in my Uninstall listing in control panel.

Is this a known problem?
Is there any way to fix it, either from happening next time, or to recover what I have lost?

I do have a Firewall and AV running. Should I have turned them off before making ghe uninstall? I also have a spyware checker, which sists resident, and watched for Registry changes. However, I "allowed" them all. Everything _seemed_ to work.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:27 PM

Let me see if I am understanding what you are saying.
You have uninstalled some trial software via Add & Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
They are still listed in the programs and when you click on them it will try to locate them.

Do they still show in Add & Remove Programs?
Are the Folders for these programs still show in the program folder?
C:\Progam Files

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:10 AM

You can undo system restore by starting it and checking "Undo Restore." Of course, that puts you back to square one. But if it didn't fix your problems anyway, it might be the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users