Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Tool Pop Ups, Can't run .exe's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ben123456789

ben123456789

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

New to the forum, appreciate any help as my problem just started. Can not run any executables or Add/Remove programs. I read other threads and tried rkill then TFC.exe and got this response from "Security Tool" in lower right corner of screen.

Security Tool Warning
rkill.exe is infected with worm Lsas.Blaster.Keyloger. This worm
is trying to send your credit card details using rkill.exe to
connect to remote host.

There are two icons in bottom right, a red shield and a white icon, they both continue to pop up and say my computer is infected and that I need to purchase additional software.

Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

I'm going to check on this
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

This tutorial will explain it better than I can
Post back if you have problems

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...e-security-tool
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 ben123456789

ben123456789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

Worked perfectly! Thanks for the help.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

You are welcome

If there are no longer signs of malware then please....

Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users