Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Building Woes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CuddleBunny

CuddleBunny

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Alright, so I ordered parts for a new computer from newegg and tiger direct:

From Newegg:

- ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
- ZALMAN CNPS9700
- Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz
- OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI-B 600W
- RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB

From TigerDirect:

- SAPPHIRE HD5850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

The graphics card was out of stock so I didn't have it by the first time I assembled the computer. After plugging everything in and turning it on I got no video so I opened it up again and threw in a speaker to hear the beep codes and got 1 long and 2 short. The bios is AMI so according to: here is a "failure in video system."

I tried all of the following:
- another monitor
- room mate's graphics card
- re-seating everything
- moving the RAM around between the slots

I really have no idea what this means but the website says it has something to do with the BIOS so I assumed it was a motherboard issue and paid $8 to send it back.

I just received the graphics card yesterday and the motherboard today, so I re-assembled everything and, of course, beeeep beep beep... >_< This time I once again:
- tried my new graphics card
- reseated everything
- moved the RAM around

While the first beep sounds about twice as long as the last two, it could very well mean your every day 3 beep RAM error, so my gut tells me to send those back next. But it is highly unlikely for both sticks of RAM to be bad, then again it is equally unlikely that both motherboards came DoA. Other options are:
- Not enough juice from the PSU
- Processor DoA

I could send things back and forth until it works, but I would like to have my computer just working already. I am also a poor college student with no job, each of these $8 S&H fees means less food for me so I would rather not.

Thus I ask, what does this community think I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

did you try each ram stick individually? though from what Im reading its video/motherboard related, possibly bios related. I would first try resetting your cmos, most motherboards have a jumper or you could simply remove the CMOS battery for about a minute or so adn then stick it back in and see if that helps. If not, considering your last mobo did this to, my money is on your one of the unlucky people to get 2 bad motherboards in a row. it does happen Im afraid. But, like I said, try resetting the CMOS first, and try the video card in another system if you can to double check that you didnt get a bad card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 CuddleBunny

CuddleBunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

I did try each individual RAM and I've also tried a different graphics card as well as the on-board graphics. The other graphics card does work in my room mate's computer. I will try resetting CMOS and reply with the results.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 CuddleBunny

CuddleBunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:34 AM

Okay, I left out the CMOS battery for an hour and also tried the reset pins. Same problem persists... :thumbsup:

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

I have the same mobo, the only thing I can think of, and this may be stupid, but did you put the video card into the upper PCI-E slot? I don't know if it would make a difference, but that's where I have mine, and after I plugged in the power it took off just fine.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 30 October 2009 - 11:37 PM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

I just did some research, and I just noticed your CPU is made for AM2+ while your motherboard is AM3. You cannot use an AM2+ CPU in an AM3 slot because AM2+ CPUs do not have a DDR3 memory controller. You will have to either return the processor for an AM3 processor or swap out the motherboard for an AM2+ capable board. nothing is wrong with either component they just arnt compatible.

Edited by the_patriot09, 30 October 2009 - 10:55 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

Ooooh, nice catch Patriot! I looked over the parts and did not notice that... :flowers:

edit:

edit:

For just a few dollars more you can get This CPU, it's faster and I can atest that it works with the mobo... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 30 October 2009 - 11:37 PM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

ya I didnt notice it at first either. In fact when AM3 originally came out I assumed since it was the same number of pins that they were backwards compatible. Couldnt figure out why they wernt till last night though when I figured out it was the memory controller. :D

picard5.jpg

#9 CuddleBunny

CuddleBunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

I just did some research, and I just noticed your CPU is made for AM2+ while your motherboard is AM3. You cannot use an AM2+ CPU in an AM3 slot because AM2+ CPUs do not have a DDR3 memory controller. You will have to either return the processor for an AM3 processor or swap out the motherboard for an AM2+ capable board. nothing is wrong with either component they just arnt compatible.

Hmm... silly internet it seems my last post never made it to the board. Anyways it was something along the lines of:

*facepalm* I see what I did there, the processor I had originally selected before choosing the motherboard was the AM3 3.0 GHz 940 Model. After making my final check I noticed the unlocked black edition processor with the same clock speed (945 model) was $5 cheaper and assumed it would use the same socket. Then upon receiving the processor, it seemed to fit into the mobo nicely with only a little more effort than usual. When I took it out to ship it back to newegg to exchange for the AM3 version I noticed that two (yes, only 2) of the pins on the bottom were in a slightly different location than the socket AM3 and were slightly bent. So I moved them back in place and tested it on my room mate's AM2+ board to make sure it still worked.

I should be receiving my new processor in less than a week so I'll come back to report success when all is well. Installing/removing that gigantic HS/F is a pain, so I hope it works this time! D:

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

well the reality of it is theyre basically the same socket type. the difference is the memory controller, and some (not all) am2+ mobos can be upgraded to AM3 socket type with a bios update. The motherboard I got for my dads system does have that capability, it would be a bit limited because the board uses DDR2, and it the FSB will be a little slower. an AM3 CPU will control DDR2 but a AM2+ CPU cannot control DDR3. that is the difference. :D

picard5.jpg

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Nice catch Patriot :thumbsup: let us know if you have any more problems
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 CuddleBunny

CuddleBunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:52 PM

Alright! So far so good. Posting from my new computer and everything seems to be working, lets hope it doesn't explode or anything. Thanks for the help~

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

Glad all is working!
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +