Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hello, My pc running xp home sp3 keeps rebooting when it gets to the "WINDOWS XP" screen just before the logon screen. I have a xp disc with sp3 loaded on it (not a system recovery disc actual xp disc). I tried to reload the o.s. but when I attempt to repair the installation I get a blue screen saying that windows has shut down because of an error so not to harm your system. and then it says "REGISTRY_ERROR".

When trying to use the recovery console I ran the Chkdsk /p command to check the hard disk but it seemed to freeze at 5%( I let it run for a couple of hours)

I have another partition on my computer (The computer is an HP if that matters) with a system recovery option on it, however when I boot to that and I choose the option to recover without formatting it just freezeswhen it is looking for the partition with windows on it. the on-screen timer does not start counting.

I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to another computer and ran a virus scan(AVG) and spyware scan (Super anti-spyware) and remove all infections.

At one boot I got an error saying that windows could not load because it could not find the following file: C:\system32\config\system. I AM NOT POSITIVE THAT THE FILE I TYPED IS CORRECT. I rebooted to see if I would get the same error and did not write it down right away. The error did not come back. So it is from my memory- I included it as just another clue in case it made sense to someone.

So I am kind of stuck in the water right now. I would prefer not to format and reload windows. It would take way to long to get it back to the way I had it.. Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

The first thing you should do is to get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.

BTW .... WELCOME to the BC Forums, the best place to be when you needalittlehelp.

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 October 2009 - 11:51 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hello sorry to reply so late.... I was expecting an e-mail letting me know there was a reply.

I tried what you asked. When I tap f8 I don't get an option to "disable automatic restart on system failure" I get

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
last know good configuration (which did not work either).

acouple other I could list if neccesary.

Thank you for your help

#4 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

I have fixed my e-mail settings and will check for replies more frequently.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

needsalittlehelp

The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing. Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. attributes. If the hard drive tests show NO (absolutely NONE) problems with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Firstly, you need to find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu. Another alternative is to use something like Everest or Belarc Advisor.

EVEREST Free Edition 2.20
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.1b)
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you have any trouble, please post the brand/model of your hard drive and we will try to assist with pointing you to the correct utility/download to use.

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 November 2009 - 07:10 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Hello enter Safe Mode
How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Do this to stop the screen so you can read it and post the error.

Click on Start, then right click on My Computer.
Scroll and select Properties, then choose Advanced tab.
Under Start up and Recovery click Settings.
Under System Failure uncheck Automatic System Restart.

Now when the BSOD occurs the screen will stop and you can write the complete error down to post.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

Hello ,

I am unable to boot into safe mode. I choose the option and a list of files loading runs down the screen it stops and then stays there. I let it sit for approximately 30 mins. I did try hitting F8 again and saw the option to disable auto restart after system failure. I don't know if I missed it(I doubt it) or if different screens appear at different times with this option.

Anyways this is the error message that I received:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

REGISTRY_ERROR

it then tells me I should check my hardware (which there is no new hardware) and software (which i did not add any new software) I could post the wholle blues screen but this is the gist of it. I got the following stopcode:

STOP: 0X00000051 (0X00000003,00000001,0X013F0400,0XE1B34F00)

I have not checked the hard drive yet will be working on that next. Just trying to keep all informed

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

I did try hitting F8 again and saw the option to disable auto restart after system failure. I don't know if I missed it(I doubt it) or if different screens appear at different times with this option.

I am very curious about that. Strange !!!

You are doing well. I strongly suspect that you will find that there is a problem with your hard drive when you run the diagnostic.
I forgot to include this link with my last post ...
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Edit:
0x00000051: REGISTRY_ERROR
This indicates a Registry or Configuration Manager problem. An I/O error may have occurred while the Registry was trying to read one of its files (caused by hardware or file system problems). This message might also appear due to a memory management error (more common in earlier versions of Windows NT).
Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 November 2009 - 12:20 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

I tried rebooting again disablingauto restart to see if I got the same message.and did not..The first time I did it the BSOD said:
disable or uninstall antivirus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities, check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk ?f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. at the bottom of the screen it said:
ntfs.sys- address F74B216D base at F7488000, Datestamp 48025be5.

The next time I got:

Stop:C000021A {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

Finally the next THREE TIMES. I didnot get a BSOD. The screen went black and I got:

Windows cold not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.

\windows\system32\config\system

you can attempt to repair by inserting original windows cd...etc.

I am waiting for further instructions. Thank You

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

I am waiting for further instructions. Thank You

As in my previous posts ... run the HDD diagnostic. This is the first step you should do.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

I have a hitachi hard drive. The website is www.hitachigst.com model #HDT722516DLAT80 I can't seem to find the download page. Is this something that needs to be purchased or should it be free???

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Scroll down to Drive Fitness Test (version 4.16). I suggest using the CD image rather than the floppy version but either will do.

Louis

#13 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Thanks- I found it and made the bootable disk. I ran both the quick test and the advanced test and both came back with an "operation successful" . In reading your previous post australien you said to check the s.m.a.r.t. attributes. I have verified that they are enabled.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

check the s.m.a.r.t. attributes. I have verified that they are enabled.

Hopefully S.M.A.R.T. gave you a PASS .... I think you would have noticed if it showed FAIL.
I hope so, anyway?

So, what's next ... ? I am working on that.
---------------------

Please load the Recovery Console and try running chkdsk /p again.
That should be the next step, logically.
Does it run successfully?
Please note the error count as it progresses (if you are that lucky).

Late late edit:
This is worrying me so I will raise the matter before we go too far ...
I have not ever used the Hitachi utility, so I do not know how it reports or shows its results.

I was expecting to see a PASS or FAIL for each of the tests, with maybe something like "no errors" to relieve my anxiety. Somehow, "operation successful" just doesn't seem to cut it.

Likewise, I would expect the utility to report the S.M.A.R.T. as PASS or FAIL.

I may be unduly concerned here. Can you re-assure me at all with any details?
I was so sure that you were going to find a HDD problem!
Just in case you may be inclined ... ? It doesn't hurt to run the diagnostic utility more than once. It wouldn't be the first time that a different result has been reported on a subsequent run of the utility.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 November 2009 - 11:52 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

I loaded the recovery console and got 3 options to log onto:

1.D:\miniNt
2.D:\i386
3.C:\WINDOWS

I chose option 3 and hit enter and got the B.S.O.D. with REGISTRY_ERROR as the reason why windows shut down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users