Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering deleted partitions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HawkeyeDnatbat

HawkeyeDnatbat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hello all.

To cut a long story short, some type of virus absolutely shredded my little sisters laptop, so I decided to nuke it and do a fresh install... (XP)

So I used my operating system cd with her laptop, which looking back now was a pretty bad idea, since mine is HP and hers is Advent, so her valid product key was showing as invalid, ugh.

So had a good read up on it and saw I needed her operating system cd, well, with Advent, it seems they don't actually send any out with the laptop, and all the partitions got deleted, at this point, I was banging my head against a wall.

Then I saw about programs which recover deleted partitions, I tried Find and Mount. And some of the lost files come up, Yippee! or so I thought.

It asks me for a operating recovering cd, and would just like to ask all the kind people here is anything can be done to revert my sisters laptop back to its factory settings? or any other ideas on what to do? Perhaps trying to recover lost partitions is the wrong way to go about it, however i'm fairly useless at things like this, and have absolutely no idea on how to go about things. I see you can buy the discs, but they are quite expensive and take a long time before it would reach me.

So, begging for help here.

Thanks in advances for all replys.

Edit: Forgot to mention a pretty vital part, with advent, instead of sending out discs, they have a recovery partition on the hard drive.

Edited by HawkeyeDnatbat, 29 October 2009 - 08:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

If you contact them they may send you a restore CD. You will probably have to pay S&H at the least. Tried to find the Advent UK website with no luck. Are they still in business?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users