Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Installed RAM now have system error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 docpoco

docpoco

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

I will be as brief and detailed as possible.

I just attempted to install 2 sticks of new PC 2700 512 MB in an Emachines T2245 - I don't believe I have a compatability issue even though the system used PC 2100 to start with, but I haven't completely ruled a compatability issue out.

When I booted the computer I got to the system check screen, then it acts like its loading windows with the Xp logo and progress bar - then goes blank and a box pops up that says "Lsass.exe - System Error. The endpoint format is invalid".

I researched that, used regedit to make changes to SystemPage as microsoft suggests.

I was still getting that same error message. I told it to use the "last known configuration" and got an additional error message that said something along the lines of "Windows reached maximum cache", then the same lsass error as before.

Now it automatically reboots itself as soon as it tries to load windows.

I tried it with just one stick (tried both sticks individually) - no luck.

I also put the old memory back in and it works fine.

I really hope someone can offer some assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

From what I have found, 2700 should indeed be compatible. But the tests you have done sure seems to point to bad memory. I would return them and try again.
If they are ECC they are not supported and will most likely cause problems.

Side note; Your machine will handle up to 2 Gigs.

Edited by ThunderZ, 29 October 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#3 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

What are the odds of both sticks being bad? Would it even get to the loading windows screen if it were bad?

Here is the item I purchased

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...id=372311931009

As far as I can tell it meets all the criteria. Non ecc, low density, 184 pin.

I don't know. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Edited by docpoco, 29 October 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

If they came as a matched set they were probably came from the same lot. Always a chance that if one is bad then they both are.

Could not view the link since you posted it as a Log`d on user.

#5 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:58 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-DDR-PC2700-333Mh...=item2c5176429c

Did that one work?

Would it matter that I replaced a 266Hz stick with a 333Hz?

Edited by docpoco, 29 October 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-DDR-PC2700-333Mh...=item2c5176429c

Did that one work?

Yep, that one worked. Never heard of the brand, really means nothing. At that price compared to other major manufacturers did`t you question it?

Would it matter that I replaced a 266Hz stick with a 333Hz?

In this case, everything I read says 333 should work.

I think this is a case of Buyer be ware. Sorry to say you got what you paid for.

#7 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

You my be right. They had 15000 positive feedback at over 99% positive, so I gave them the BotD. They agreed to return it or replace it with guaranteed 100% compatible ram. I just wonder what would make it not compatible.... could it have something to do with USB support.

When I try to boot in safe mode is hangs at mup.sys, which apparently indicates a hardware issue.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Beginning to think this is a bit of a Bait & Switch. Just read this from your posted link.

This advertisement is low cost generic low density memory with good compatibility. It works well if it is compatible with your system. However for 100% compatibility we recommend Major Brand high quality low density RAM. In case this memory you order is not compatible with your motherboard, we can assist you exchange it for a high quality low density memory, but on payment of cost differential.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

You my be right. They had 15000 positive feedback at over 99% positive, so I gave them the BotD. They agreed to return it or replace it with guaranteed 100% compatible ram. I just wonder what would make it not compatible.... could it have something to do with USB support.

When I try to boot in safe mode is hangs at mup.sys, which apparently indicates a hardware issue.

Sure do not blame you for giving it a try at that price.

I`m guessing their\now your problem comes from cheap components used in assembly\poor manufacturing process\little or non-existent quality control.

Doubt it has anything to do with anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users