Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device manager empty, long flashlight search, IE hangs up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pcmitch

pcmitch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hope you guys can help. One of our friend's kid was on some of those crazy sites they go to on my machine. Don't know for sure, but this all started not long after that. This is my work PC so I'm very careful about downloading junk.

XP Pro, 3-yr old machine, fairly high-end HP when I bought it through Best Buy commercial. 2.39 GHz, 1.97 GB Ram.

A month or so ago I noticed that clicking a link in an Outlook email IE took a long time to finally bring up the page. Then after opening Win Explorer I only got about the top 25% of the normal tree. Clicking on My Computer to get to Drive 2 I watched the little flashlight search back and forth for maybe 30 seconds. Same thing when opening a file out of any other program. Only the upper portion of the tree is visible and then the dreaded flashlight search! Backing up Quickbooks takes forever - about 2 minutes. All that's been the status for a month or two.

Saw something on line about fixing it that directed me to Device Manager and it was empty. I followed the regedit instructions, but no change. I don't belong in the registry anyway!

I run AVG 8.5 & PC Tools every night. Also tried Malwarebyte, Spybot, & SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode.

I'm prepared to start with a Windows repair, but thought I'd check here for some other ideas. My career is on this machine, but I keep it backed up on a USB drive and Carbonite. I'm just trying to avoid the immense hassle and lost productivity of wiping the C drive.

I appreciate anything y'all can come up with.

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

Have you checked Event Viewer...for pertinent errors noted?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Ran chkdsk /r recently, then defragged the C: partition?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users