Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for backup program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hello

I have been backing up my computer running Vista and soon to be running win 7. I use Karens Replicator or the built in windows utility. I find it takes up a lot of space and would like to know if there is an easier way of doing it without using all my external drive space.
Maybe someone can go over just what and how it should be backed up

Thanks so much

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

hi,,,, look on here
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?...t=edRating4+asc
use the filters at the left hand side to narrow your search for the one you want,,, also read editor and user reviews,,,,
i use the vista ultimate and do a full drive image backup,,,, every month i just delete the one i had previously and make another one to my external box,,,, takes about an hour or two but i use my laptop while this is happening,,,
easy enough and keeps it simple for me,,,, i do the same on the laptop, which i have restored the image backup on to a couple of times now after the kids have killed it off :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

Thanks figgis
I guess deleting the prior backup may be the best bet. I don't know why but I thought their were imaging programs that used little space. Am i wrong?

Thanks again
Tom

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Acronis incremental backups may be what I am looking for. Only adding what has changed. A free program would be better though. I have tried Macrium which I like but don't believe it has the incremental option
Tom

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

hi,,,, the space used by a backup is relative to the amount of gig's used on the hard drive,,,, so like mine,,, i have a 500gb hdd with around 140gb used,,,, so my full image backup is around 80-90 gig if i remember,,, this is because its compressed,,,,,,, so if you do weekly backups the program will find the old backup and just add to it whats new on the hard drive,,, so its not adding another 80-90 gig every backup if you get me,,,, this makes the backup quicker and use less space, as its only adding a week/month worth of new programs, music, pictures etc to the backup,,,,, this is suppose to be how it works,,,, but i have found in the past that it is a bit hit and miss, and the continuing backup has been corrupt for some reason and when it came time to use it it will not load back,,,,, so i delete the old one and do a fresh,,,, but this is only my personal preference as i find it works and gives me piece of mind,,,
which ever one you use there will be full instructions on there site to downland or in there forums to give guidance :huh:
hope this helps
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

Yes it does Thanks
I have a 1T WD external drive coming from J&R Music today to replace my 150 gig. This should solve my issues. I'll make a copy on the old external drive for safe keeping and maybe hook it up once every 3-4 months to update it. I'll also be doing everyday/weekly backups with the new drive.
If you haven't tried Karens Replicator for specific backups I highly recommend it

Have a great weekend

Edited by tpm, 30 October 2009 - 12:02 PM.

Tom

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

hi tom,,,, i use to use acronis and its well worth the money, but all of my machines now have ultimate or business which carries the full windows drive imaging backup program so did not bother with anything else,,,,,
glad your sorted out now :huh:
just a quick point about external hdd's,,, i always like to get one with its own rocker switch (on/off) so its not always on when the pc is on and its usb is plugged in,,,, so its not heating up and down all the time,,, as we know heat is a hard drives worst enemy.
have a great weekend too :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hello again
I bought the WD Essential 1T external drive. I already ran a backup using their software. I am not sure if it copies hidden files such as the APPDATA folder. Maybe someone can tell me.
Also I want to try and partition the drive as it is so big but can't seem to do it in the "Manage Discs" in Vista. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tom

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

hi,,,, a partition manager will do the job better than windows,,, cnet again,,,, read up on them first ,,, filters on the left again,,, some of the free ones will do a very good job so dont discount these,,,
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?...tform%3DWindows
also if your doing a mirror image then everything on the selected drive is copied including hidden files.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users