Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Burner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lucky71

lucky71

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

Hi Folks,

I am trying to choose the "best" cd burner that I can install, free of charge, of course.

Im preety concerned about some news alerting that many cd burners downloaded from the site "download.com" have malware/spyware.

Could you advise me, please?

Thanks a lot.

:thumbsup:

Lucky71
lucky71

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:58 PM

Maybe it is just me, but Im a little confused :thumbsup:

If you are looking for a CD burner-that is hardware. It is not something that you can download. It is a physical piece of equipment, that you hold in your hands. Another example of hardware would be a keyboard.

If you are looking for a software application that you use to burn CDs, you have to have a CD burner first. If you do, then I would use what came with your burner (or computer, if it was already bought with one).

If you are looking for an alternative one, then there are a few things that need to be asked:

-What do you want to burn? Music for a CD player, videos for a DVD player, back-up of HD, ect...
-Is speed more important then consistancy?
-Is there a reason why you want to change, if you already have one?
-You mentioned that you want a free one, but if you found one that you like, and was using it as a trial, would you be willing to purchase the full version?
-Is your computer more then 5 years old?
-What type of internet connection do you have? Dial-up, DSL, Cable, ect...

If you can help me out, I can help you out. With a little bit more information, I know I can find what you are looking for.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 lucky71

lucky71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 05:14 PM

Ok, Jason, let explain better.
I have a pentium 4, Windows XP, with a CD burner (the hardware) that I bought around 10 months ago.
On the other hand, I do not have a CD burner ("the software" used to burn cds).
I want a software able to record (or burn) cds to listen in car cd players.
For instance, I have some archives (mp3 music) and I want to burn cds to listen in my car cd player. I want to burn in mp3 format to listen in mp3 format, too.
So, I would like to know which software (free, if it is possible) you think is the best choice to burn mp3 files, keeping the original format (mp3).
Also, I red on "download.com" some negative opinions from guys that downloaded Nero, for instance, and had their pcs infected by malware. Please, advise, me. Thanks again.
lucky71

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:41 PM

Ok heres one www.nero.com its not free but go to www.winsite.com and search for keyword "cd burner" or www.zdnet.com. I got mine there free. O man I no of a good one mdae by hp and its 100% free! Hum....I use it but cant remember the name. O hp record now! Search that up on googel.com this program is as good as nero!!

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:53 PM

I would suggest you visit HERE It is free. It works well. If you want a few extra features, you can buy the "powerpack". The Sony unit I bought came with software from these folks:B's Recorder Gold but I'm not certain that the Windows XP itself doesn't have a program to operate any CD-RW that it recognizes, and if it does you'll just need the freeware. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 lucky71

lucky71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

Ok, People, thanks for everybody. I will follow your advices. Thank you!

:thumbsup:
lucky71

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

I think I speak for everybody YOUR WELCOME! I really hope we all have helped you out and that you can burn a cd. Cd burning I found out is very fun and helful too!
CGM3

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:05 PM

I thought that you was talking about the software. I just wanted to make sure that we are on the same page.

Personally, I like I-Tunes. Even though I do not burn very often, I have used the burning portion of it a few times. It is free, and works with XP. Its primary use is really just playing the music, and you can import from CDs. The interface is very nice, and it also allows seperate playlists. The only downside, is that you can not easily alter the music with this. I dont get into that much anyway, but if that is something that you want as an option, then you might try one of the other programs that was recommended.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:57 PM

Myself, I like DeepBurner.

features list:
* Ability to burn audio (MP3, OGG, WAV), data, and bootable CDs
* Ability to burn DVDs
* Ability to create and burn ISO files
* Buffer underrun technology "Burn-Proof" (If supported by the drive)
* Overburning (If supported by the drive)
* MS Explorer-type file browser
* CD/DVD capacity visual meter
* Dynamically adjustable drive buffer size
* Creation of multi-session CDs
* Works with most IDE (Atapi), SCSI, USB and FireWire CDR/W DVD/RAM drives
* Multi-language user interface
* Support for multiple simultaneous recorders
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:45 AM

I have Record Now! on my XP, and I've found the software certainly does the trick. Although, it does have an auto-update feature...
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
I'm just fussy is all, so I killed it :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users