Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Boot Failure Black Screen w/White Cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gwodan21

Gwodan21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D810 that has worked great for me.

But last week I started having problems when Friday night it would not boot except to a Black Screen with a White Cursor - right out of POST.
It appeared the HD was dead, because it has been a little flakey anyway - so I bought a new one.

When I had the newone installed and re-imaged it seemed ok until the next morning. Overnight I had left it in standby mode - nothing new here.

When I got up in the morning and turned it on the Video was not re-sizing to match the laptop screen like it normally does.
So I tried to manually adjust it - then it froze and the screen went White -

I couldn't get out of that and the HD was running.
Finally I was able to put it back into a Standby mode - it seemed fine still.

Then I re-booted. The OS didn't come back and system failed to book comming out of the POST.

I then pulled out my UBCD to find that both drives were working.

I did the following:
1) Chkdsk / r
2) fixmbr
3) fixboot
4) boot/config
5) spybot
6) still working on it.

Any clues would be great! I need to get this thing back on line so I can get back to work.

Edited by Gwodan21, 29 October 2009 - 07:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hi,
I'm SteinPooch.
Okay, so you said you replaced the HDD, and then took the OS Image and put it on the new HDD? As you said, you had no problems there. It sounds like you may have a virus, or you MIGHT need to re-install your OS. I would suggest putting this in the Am I Infected? Forum, as you MIGHT have a virus. And if you find that you don't, please don't hesitate to PM me. I will respond as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.
SteinPooch

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

@ SteinPooch: It does seem likely to be a malware problem, but it is not much use getting the thread moved anywhere until Windows is up and running.

@ Gwodan21:
You said: "Then I re-booted. The OS didn't come back and system failed to book comming out of the POST"
Please describe what you see when you attempt to start the system:
1. normally.
2. in Safe Mode, logging into your normal user account.
3. in Safe Mode, logging into the Administrator account.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Gwodan21

Gwodan21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

I believe it is some sort of malware infection.
Happened 3x on 2 different drives. One drive was only able to boot after fresh install.

symptoms are the same each time.
image -
works fine first time booting
re-boot
black screen white cursor in upper left.

have run Malware bytes and combofix - together with out success..
realized the system was still hooked to internet so will try again with it disconnected from internet.
and after that to try an older drive image.

What really sucks is I actually started to back up after the last crash - so I wouldn't loose my data, and now I am looking at the possibility of loosing it anyway.
at least with the back up I have multiple options to find a solution before we dump the whole thing and start from scratch.

so I think windows it self is fine until the gremlins mess with it.

Thanks for the input.

Oh, and for the record - the failure happens as soon as SYSTEM POST is complete - there is no opportunity to go to safe mode - or any other mode. there is no log on screen, no windows flash screen and there is no keyboard response.

One last Question - I have heard and read that there have been multiple infections recently due to a back door bot that effects something in \system32 folder... what do you know about that?

Thanks,
Lynne

Edited by Gwodan21, 31 October 2009 - 12:51 PM.

#5 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:45 AM

To answer your last question, there are hundreds of those. I once had two completely different ones running on my PC at the same time (thank you BitDefender for finding them!) Although some of them don't go into the system32 folder, a back door bot generally goes into the root of the system, so it doesn't have to crack your password

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users