Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Connections to a Sata Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ansemx324

Ansemx324

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

I see external Hard drives that have multiple ways to connect to them, and I would like to try to repeat this. How do they have a Sata hard drive connection split to become USB/Firewire/eSATA female connections.

I am building a NAS, and there is a reason why I am asking about multiple connections.
I want to build a NAS, but be able to connect to the drive through firewire or esata as well because they are so much faster. I would not be doing any one connection at a time, of course, but want the option to use these different connections. Basically this would require me to have the SATA drive connected to both the motherboard (so it can be part of the NAS), as well as have a connection to a Firewire port or eSata port. I feel that the only way to do this is to have a firewire or esata connect directly to the Sata drive, or else the connection would be going to the motherboard of the NAS and not the drives, thus I would not be able to access them (the SATA/Firewire would be going to the motherboard, which would thus not give me access into the drive).

I know for a fact that one can do multiple interfaces to a SATA drive because external drives such as WD's My Book Studio and Home series have a quad interface, allowing the user to connect using USB, Firewire 400 or 800, AND eSata, but I dont know where to get this equipment.

PS: There are such things as a SATA cable multiplier, which allows multiple SATA drives to be connected into one SATA connection on a motherboard. This may help in this case if the one cable goes into the sata drive, and the split ends can attach to the motherboard, firewire port, eSata port, ect.

If there is any way to build a NAS that has Firewire connections or eSata connections that go to the motherboard and CAN allow a computer to plug in an treat the NAS as an external drive, it would be even better and much simpler, so definitely let me know if you know of a way to do that! I could then access all of the drives if I ever put more than one into the system :thumbsup:.
Thanks everyone in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

Most new motherboards come with an eSATA on board (powered too!) and all you'd need to do, is buy an external case with eSata connection.
you can NOT plug multiple devices into a single SATA port. It's designed to have one device per motherboard connection(hence why newer boards will have 4,6,8 or 10 SATA connections.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Ansemx324

Ansemx324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

Most new motherboards come with an eSATA on board (powered too!) and all you'd need to do, is buy an external case with eSata connection.
you can NOT plug multiple devices into a single SATA port. It's designed to have one device per motherboard connection(hence why newer boards will have 4,6,8 or 10 SATA connections.

I know that the motherboard can come with eSATA, but if a computer plugged into this port, I BELIEVE it would be connected to the NAS and its OS, since those pots are output ports, not input ports, thus the computer would not be connected to the hard drive. I'm trying to make it so the drives can be accessed as if they were external drives, or be able to connected to the NAS's drives through this manner...if FreeNas, the OS, or whatever NAS system, allows me to do this.
In short, those ports built into the motherboard (for the NAS) are meant as outputs to that system, not inputs. I'm looking for an input into the NAS systems drives. If there is a way to make them inputs please let me know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users