Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 9.10 Released

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

Ubuntu 9.10 is now available for download. http://www.ubuntu.com/

More Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop Edition release highlights:

*Faster, simplified, better-looking boot experience for most users
*Audio revamp allowing improved sound control across multiple applications
*Firefox 3.5: latest, fastest, most secure web browser yet from Mozilla

Useful links

Ubuntu Desktop Edition is entirely free of charge and can be downloaded from www.ubuntu.com as of Thursday 29 October

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is entirely free of charge and can be downloaded from www.ubuntu.com
Ubuntu One offers 2 GB storage for free, and 50 GB for $10 per month. See one.ubuntu.com

Canonical provides support products for desktop and notebook users priced from $55 per year. It can be purchased at www.ubuntu.com/support/services

The 100 Paper Cuts project can be found here (open ID required): https://launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts

The list of supported netbooks can be found here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

The new feature tour with screen shots can be found at http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/910features/

The list of supported languages in Ubuntu 9.10 can be found here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/ReleaseLanguages/9.10
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

WOOT!!! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:50 PM

YAY!

#4 llynara

llynara

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Woohoo! Very exciting! Have seen some of the alphas and betas of Karmic Koala and they look pretty good. Now, which computer to put it on...hmm....got enough spare parts, maybe it's time to build another Frankencomputer and see how it does!
Llyn :thumbsup:

#5 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

lol...

Too bad ubuntu doesn't have the best of servers. Est. ~8-10 hours until it finished updating my packages :thumbsup:

I really need a nice SSD for my comp... I want to run all of my good games and CS4 off of it.

Too bad there like $150 and I never seem to have any time to look into them.

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Looks like I should fire up the update manager and update the my RC.

Too bad ubuntu doesn't have the best of servers. Est. ~8-10 hours until it finished updating my packages :thumbsup:

Actually, they have pretty good servers. They just have a lot of traffic going to them today.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#7 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

Well, in comparison to Mac or Microsoft. Oh well. I'm still getting 15 hours at 29 kb/s, but I am running my browser and brute forcer. 701/1327 for package downloads though, so it should speed up.

#8 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

61/2 hour download here. Did the upgrade.
Still tweaking Firefox, installed Skype, had a couple of crash reports. Nothing
that kept me from doing my thing. Interestingly ironic--- the crash reporting was one that
crashed. Seems okay now.
The upgrade solved a couple of issues I was having with my new graphics card. Pleasant
surprise.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Yeah.. Very first thing that had a problem is when I was tried setting up my wireless mouse. Something with my NVIDIA card. And yes, when I tried reporting that the error reporter crashed.
I don't suppose your graphics card was NVIDIA too? Anyway, everything has been fine. Like the new logo.

EDIT: Oh dear... Terminal crashed on open. NVM- ran the second time.

Edited by maki2012, 30 October 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Yes, I have a Nvidia card. Somewhere along the way I was informed that Nvidia plays well
with Linux. It does allow more eye candy than the onboard graphics display did.

If you haven't found how to disable the timer on shutdown, I just spent some time doing that.
Even found a video.
Open terminal
Enter "gconf_editor"
Double click on APPS
Scroll down to indicator-session and click to open
Check box next to Suppress_logout_restart_shutdown

#11 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hm... Haven't had that problem. The desktop affects are phenomenal though!

I'm having serious problems with Firefox concerning non-html buttons, mostly Flash and SWF Videos. In Hulu, the buttons hardly work and I couldn't seem to get the Quick Reply to work in Bleeping either.

I'll try switching off Adobe flash and trying some other plugin, hopefully that will work.

#12 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

I have updated a couple of times since installing 9.10. There were updates for
Firefox and Adobe Flash among several.

#13 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

I'm upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10...Only 3 hours into the upgrade.
Still "getting new packages". I hope after the upgrade that most
of my bookmarks etc. are still here..Anyone have issues with
Rhythmbox or movie player? It's always a problem with me.

#14 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

I hope after the upgrade that most of my bookmarks etc. are still here.

I'm sure they'll be there, but you should check out Xmarks; it's very useful.

Anyone have issues with Rhythmbox or movie player? It's always a problem with me.

Both work fine for me; I've had no problems whatsoever with sound and video.

Edited by MadDawg, 31 October 2009 - 11:50 AM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#15 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

I'm installing Karmic Koala on my Linux box now.
I have been using Ubuntu part time since it came out.
When XP draws it's last breath I will switch to Ubuntu full time.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users