Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dog slow

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zsr

zsr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

Hey guys. (First post, woo hoo!)

I've recently installed Vista, and I'm not sure if my processor is fast enough but man, this thing is DOG SLOW.

Loading notepad takes a solid 1-2 minutes. Boot is rather slow. The mouse jumps around the screen. Install took over 8-10 hours. :huh:

Any ideas?

Proc: AMD Sempron 1329mhz
Mem: 256mb DDR
Vid: ATI Radeon 9200 (128mb)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:47 PM

According to Microsoft:

Minimum system requirements will not be known until summer 2006 at the earliest. However, these guidelines provide useful estimates:

512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM

A dedicated graphics card with DirectX® 9.0 support

A modern, Intel Pentium- or AMD Athlon-based PC.

Looks like you need to double up on your memory.

#3 zsr

zsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

Blech.

Alright, but would half the required RAM actually degrade performance as far as how the mouse moves and how slow things load? I was thinking along the lines of a crappy OS (lol, kidding).

As soon as I come into a bit of cash, I'll definately check into that.

Thanks a ton! :D

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

The OS is very fast for me. I have a 2.8ghz p4 and 1.5 gigs of ram. ATI RAdeon 9800 pro prob helps as well

#5 FrozenJackal

FrozenJackal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:40 PM

yeah i am also having trouble with Vista running rather slow not as slow as you are reporting but the video really lags and i have a ATI 9600pro I downloaded the drivers off of ATI's web page but it still runs very choppy. Does anyone have any ideas?

#6 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have a 1.83 ghx with 512mb RAM and a 256mb Nvidia 6600GT. Runs like a Dream for me.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#7 zsr

zsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hmm...

Well, this sucks. Lol. Guess we have to wait for beta 2? :huh:

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

I don't think that the requirements are going to decrease any. :huh:

#9 zsr

zsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:02 PM

Well my guess was they were going to improve performance (especially since this is a beta) because they know as well as we know that users with ancient PCs are going to try to run this.

Another thing that is pretty strange, is this video card is fairly powerful and new. I know about 4 other people with this video card interested in Vista. :huh:

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

The ATI radeon 9200, though, it has a decent amount of memory is not a very good performer unfortunately. A lot of the advanced user interface of vista required pretty good hardware and am not sure if the 9200 will really be able to cut it for some of the advaned features. It may, but I am unsure.

Also, for example the Aero Glass theme (transparent windows etc) required DirectX9 which your card does not support.

#11 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

To be honest with you, I really don't think they're too concerned with anyone with older PCs. They'll suggest that those with older PCs upgrade to newer hardware. Vista isn't really supposed to work at optimum performance unless you have a 64bit Proc, at least 1+GB RAM, and a 256 mb Vid Card. :huh:
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#12 FrozenJackal

FrozenJackal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

i wonder if i have some sort of hacked version because as i search around the net for answers on why my computer is running so slow i have noticed that the top portion of the windows vista window frame in the screen shots posted online are somewhat translucent and in the version i am running it is a solid non-translucent. window, maybe this is just an option that i haven't been able to activate but there are some other very small differences too. has anyone heard of a hacked/fake version floating around out there.

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

Did you download your copy from Microsoft?

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

ONly those machines with good video cards (i believe its 128 mb) will have the glass features

#15 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

I tried it on a 2 notebooks so far:

1. Sony Vaio V505- 512mb Pentium 4M 2.0 Gig. Ran beautifully, faster than XP Pro did. Boots up quick and loads programs real well. Through lots of stuff at it, and it didn't flinch.

2. IBM Thinkpad G40 with desktop 2.6Gig and 750mb of memory. 180 degress out- ran as bad as the Sony ran nice! Slow as sin. IE7 wouldn't display text correctly and just real unstable loading. I suspect that it's probably do to not having the correct video driver - and the fact that g40 uses CPU for video processing.

Unfortunately, I'm selling the Sony as I'd love to keep it as a tinkerer for Vista. But I'd rather have the cash, and I really like the IBM better- even if it means I can only use XP Pro for now.. hope IBM gets caught up on drivers soon.
Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users