Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft says it's illegal to use the "hack" for Win 7 Upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Microsoft has wagged its finger at users to dissuade them from hacking upgrade versions of Windows 7 to get a full copy of the new operating system on their PC.

Reacting to tips being served up online, Microsoft has warned that while it's technically possible to perform what's known as a "clean" install of Windows 7 on a PC, you'll be breaking the law.

You'll be breaking the Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA), meaning you're potentially running a pirated copy of Windows.

Also, Microsoft has "reminded" small-and-medium-size businesses they cannot transfer licenses for Windows from old machines to new PCs.

Eric Ligman, global partner experience leading in Microsoft Worldwide partner group has blogged bluntly: "Bottom line is, no, OEM Microsoft Windows licenses do not have any transfer rights and live and die on the original computer they are shipped with and installed on, period.

These kinds of things happen each time there's a new release of Windows.

In past years, Windows users have posted advice on how to get the upgrade editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista working on PCs without Windows pre-installed on the hard drive.

Upgrade copies are always cheaper than the full product.

Last week's release of Windows 7 has delivered a fresh crop of advice.

"Unfortunately, it looks like it is time to have this conversation again," an apparently exasperated Ligman wrote. "Technically possible" does not always mean legal," he said of the advice being posted.

"When these posts and write-ups state that you can install clean from an Upgrade piece of software and they fail to mention that you need to own a qualifying software license to be legal to use the Upgrade software for the installation, they give the impression that because it is technically possible, it is legal to do.

"Unfortunately, by doing this, they irresponsibly put end users at risk of loading unlicensed software." ®

Source: Channel Register
See also SMB Blog: SMB Blog
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

Well I am going to do it and I don't care what MS says. It would be silly for me to reinstall Vista just to upgrade it.

#3 _Allan_

_Allan_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

As 'mean' as this may sound, I hope an MS person sees this, contacts the board with a subpoena, and gets your IP, then sends the police to your house and charges you with piracy. I know, it's a long shot for MS, but it would be worth while.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

Even if they do, I hardly doubt they would go after a single person. They are more concerned about large scale businesses or corporations doing it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:14 AM

As 'mean' as this may sound, I hope an MS person sees this, contacts the board with a subpoena, and gets your IP, then sends the police to your house and charges you with piracy. I know, it's a long shot for MS, but it would be worth while.

We are all so proud of you looking after M$ Interests, Alan. :huh:

I rang my Computer Shop, and they said they cant sell me a copy of W7 outright.

I would have to buy a new Computer, off them as well,with W7 Installed.

M$ should put their EULA's where the sun dont shine. :huh:

Edited by DSTM, 31 October 2009 - 12:24 AM.

#6 _Allan_

_Allan_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

DTM - "M$" is an immature way of shortening Microsoft's name (it's also so 20th century ... ). As for me 'looking out for MS's interests', perhaps I am a share holder? Perhaps I have friends who work there? OR ... (dun dun dah!) perhaps I'm an incognito MS employee?

I think you should shove a copy of Windows 7 where the sun don't shine.

Have a great one eh?!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

Please give me a break, I have a hard drive that's 6 years old with XP/pro on it not to mention it only 40 gb. I paid for XP and I paid for the upgrade" Windows Seven Pro" I'm going to put a new hard drive in first, 320 gb and then do a clean install and I'm not going to reinstall XP first, even though I have the original disk.SO if Bill Gates wants to come and get me I will email him my address,and he can send his storm trooper's to get me! O and Allan I give you permission to forward this reply anywhere you want. cheer's

Edited by sleepwalker, 31 October 2009 - 01:13 AM.

#8 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:53 AM

Please give me a break, I have a hard drive that's 6 years old with XP/pro on it not to mention it only 40 gb. I paid for XP and I paid for the upgrade" Windows Seven Pro" I'm going to put a new hard drive in first, 320 gb and then do a clean install and I'm not going to reinstall XP first, even though I have the original disk.SO if Bill Gates wants to come and get me I will email him my address,and he can send his storm trooper's to get me! O and Allan I give you permission to forward this reply anywhere you want. cheer's

From Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows; news shorts for Nov.02/09;Microsoft: OK, Maybe You're Not a Pirate. Maybe.
After Microsoft's bizarre freakout, IDG News' Gregg Keizer wrote that the company had "backed down" from its previous claims about the upgrade "trick" that I published, saying that "users can apply a workaround trick to do a clean install of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive as long as they toe the licensing line." And although I appreciate Microsoft's implicit mea culpa—"[If] you have the previous version Full Windows license and qualify for the Windows 7 Upgrade, you have the rights to do a 'clean' install," Microsoft's Eric Ligman finally admitted in a contorted way—I have yet to hear directly from the software giant. But I don't need Microsoft's approval, because the details are spelled out quite nicely in the Windows 7 end user license agreement (EULA). "To use upgrade software
, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade." Exactly. And, again, I'd point out that that's exactly what I've been documenting. It's not a "hack" or a "trick." It's called supporting legitimate Microsoft customers. And if you read what I wrote, that's how I describe it: clean-installing Windows 7 over a legitimate, activated version of Vista or XP. It's legal, and it's OK. And Microsoft can't claim otherwise. :huh:

Edited by sleepwalker, 02 November 2009 - 12:59 AM.

#9 coldhandedman

coldhandedman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

From what I have seen with wanting to go from XP to 7 without losing programs and having to do a fresh install, you need to do the upgrade to vista then do the upgrade to 7. However, if you have any pending updates in XP, it will mess up the install of 7 later on.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:39 AM

Microsoft has warned that while it's technically possible to perform what's known as a "clean" install of Windows 7 on a PC, you'll be breaking the law.

Last time I checked, the a EULA was a contract (of dubious enforceability1) not The Law. :huh:

#11 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

LOL. Are you seriously under the impression you can't just buy a copy of windows 7 off of the shelf?[/code]

Edited by Akthalian, 02 November 2009 - 11:54 AM.

A+ Certified Support Technician

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

Aaaaaand now this thread went beyond stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users