Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tspader

tspader

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

I've had my Toshiba Satellite A75-S229 laptop for less than a year now and lately it's been shutting off spontaneously. I used to think it was getting too hot and just automatically shut down before overheating, but it's been doing it a lot more lately. What could be the problem and what should I do? Thanks for any help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

It could well be overheating, something laptops are especially prone to do.

Physically inspect it thoroughly, making certain dust is not obscuring vent slots..

Does it do anything else it shouldn't be doing?

When you use it do you try to put it on hard surface, or on a cloth or soft plastic surface that may prevent venting?

You might want to invest in a laptop cooling fan, like those on the following link:
http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Fans-Notebook.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 August 2005 - 07:04 PM.

#3 tspader

tspader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:35 PM

I do have a cooling fan and I make sure it runs each time I use my computer. Nothing else is wrong with it. It could be dust though. Is there a safe way to clean it out?

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

Hi tspader,

Added to what Enthusiast said, I would call Toshiba and make them aware of the problem. Assuming you bought the laptop new, it should be under warranty and not be having over temp problems. (I looked on Toshiba's site and found A75's are new, but didn't find a sub-model of S229.) Try running it on AC power on a desktop, or other hard surface. See if it cuts off. If it does, make the call - there is a problem and Toshiba should fix it. You also should see some fan movement at power-up... even if only but a few seconds.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:40 PM

You can try canned air/duster. Sold at Wal-Mart or your favorite electronics store.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 tspader

tspader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'll do what I can and see what happens! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users