Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving files to an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sandanista

sandanista

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

Hello all,
I am running a 4 year old pc with Windows Me. I have been transferring several files from my main hard drive ( C ) to my external hard drive ( F ). The external drive is connected to my desktop pc by USB.
Today I was transfering about 8GB of files from my C drive which had 2 GB available on the drive to my F drive which had 14 GB available. I have successfully done this before to free up space on my C drive. As it is USB the transfer process can take a long time and has taken upto an hour. Today however it took several hours, and finally my pc froze. I rebooted it manually, and checked both the C drive and the F drive. I have seen that all files except for one have been moved to my F drive and all those transferred are fully working on my external hard drive. This should mean that about 7.5 GB of files should have been transferred. My C drive should now have 9.5 GB available and my F drive should have 6.5 GB available. However, my pc is telling me that my C drive has 2 GB of space available and my F drive has 14 GB of space available - the exact same amount before I started moving the files, it is as if I never moved the files. I have tried restarting windows and removing my USB F drive and plugging it to my pc again, but I have seen no change. I was wondering if the files may be stored in a temporary folder somewhere? And because I had to manually reboot my pc while it was still moving files between hard drives my pc did not recognise the transfer as complete so hasn't deleted the temporary files? Or it could be something different entirely, I don't know? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
John

Edited by sandanista, 02 August 2005 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

Hello sandanista & welcome the forums. :thumbsup:

It looks as if you need to verify the files have been moved.
Unmount the USB drive by using the Safely Remove Hardware tool, never just unplug or turn off the drive for risk of loosing data while it spins down.
Look in C:\ and see if the files are gone.
I don't see any reason they would be in the Temp. Folder, you can look.
C:\Windows\Temp
Now plug your USB drive and turn it on and let the system find it then open it and see if your Folder & Files are there.

If so:
Run Scandisk and Defrag on both drives, unmount the USB drive and restart, see if this helped.

#3 sandanista

sandanista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick, I ran scandisk + its now showing the free space

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

You're most Welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users