Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to add My Scans to Start Panel

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nonic

Nonic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

:thumbsup: Hi
I have Windows XP with SP 3 on my desk top PC. For ease of acces I would like to add My Scans to the list that already exists on the right hand side of the Start Panel. Currently I have My Documents, My Recent Documents, My Pictures, My Music, My Computer and My Network Places listed on the right hand side. Is it possible to add My Scans to this list ? I would be grateful for any advice. Thankyou.
NONIC
Lead Me Not Into Temptation.....I Can Find the Way Myself !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

do u mean the antivirus software youve got

if so R click on the bottom toolbar - > properties -> start menu tab -> customize -> advanced -> check to see if the drag and drop action is enabled

if it is then just drag and drop any application into the start menu

:thumbsup:

#3 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi gully 786 :flowers:
Thank you for your response. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. No, this is nothing to do with the anti virus software. When I scan a photo or document using my scanner/copier the scanned image is saved in the My Scans folder that is located in My Documents.
I can drag and drop Apps. into the left hand side of the Start Menu easily. However, what I am seeking advice on is how to add My Scans to the right hand side where MY Pictures/ My Music/ My computer etc is located. Do you have any thoughts as to how this can been achieved.
NONIC :thumbsup:

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

I am a Classic Start menu person and I think you want to add the My Scans under My Documents, My Pictures, etc.

I read that there is "no room" to put anything there in the My section, but I found a link to a VB script that lets you add a new item in the free space under the Run... command (there is lots of room there). I have no interest in it or undoing it if it breaks something, but you could certainly try it :thumbsup: I will have to find the link again - looks like it might work.

Or, you could put it in your Quick Launch area or above the All Program section, but I did not see a way to add anything to the My section. I think if I wanted to get to a folder frequently, I would add it to the Quick Launch area where it is just one click away...

Any of that sound interesting?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hi joseibarra
Many thanks for your post. I would be very interested to try the link if you can find it again. If I can get My Scans to appear under the Run commmand I would be very pleased. I will ensure that a System Restore point is created before I do anything with the link. I look forward to your reply. Thank you again for your interest.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Here are a couple.

The first is a VB Script from Kellys-Korner and Kelly has lots of things on her WWW page that sometimes have zero explanation.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Look at #180 on the left, click, download, save to desktop, add a .vbs extension to make it a VB Script file, double click to run it, answer some questions and viola (apparently).

If you look at it with a text editor, Doug Knox is also involved. Doug writes some good scripts that are friendly and polite, but there is nothing in any of their stuff I have seen that you can't do yourself if you figure out how. I am not comfortable with just downloading stuff and running it if I don't understand exactly what it is doing or where it came from (so I can undo it). It's just scary.

Here is another example that shows you how to do it at least part of it by hand using regedit:

http://www.tweaklibrary.com/Display/Start-...art-menu/10353/

I looked at each a bit and would just say that once the things gets added, if it doesn't work, compare the registry items to some other thing in that area that is working properly, or just whack the new entry and start over.

Another method to get quick access to the My Scans folder (or any folder) is from Explorer, right click My Scans, copy, then navigate to where all your Quick Launch items are (the QL items are all just is a regular folder) which for me is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jose\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Rick click in there and choose to Paste Shortcut (not Paste) and then the item is in your QL area and will open with one click any time you want it. If you make a mistake, start over. To me, this is much less trouble, easier, more efficient, easy to maintain/delete, etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by joseibarra, 01 November 2009 - 06:47 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

If you don't use the classic start menu, why don't you put the scan function on the LEFT hand side?
It's easy to do. Right click on the program and choose Pin to Start menu.

I just added calculator to the menu so you can see where your scan would be listed.

Posted Image

#8 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:32 AM

putting it above the faint line as shown in the image ensures that it will not be removed once other programmes are opened, drag and drop works with folders as well as Apps, its an easy alternative to trying to get it on the right hand side

:thumbsup:

Edited by gully786, 01 November 2009 - 09:32 AM.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

I can pin an executable, but can you pin a folder?

You can d-r-a-g the My Scans folder to the Start button, wait for it to open up and then drop it in the right place on the top left though...

Edited by joseibarra, 01 November 2009 - 09:57 AM.

#10 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

I can pin an executable, but can you pin a folder?

You can d-r-a-g the My Scans folder to the Start button, wait for it to open up and then drop it in the right place onthe top left though...

I'm unsure what you mean there but incase you misunderstood i was saying putting the folder of the left side is an alternative to putting it on the right side :thumbsup:

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

I mean when you use the "new" Start menu there is a Pin to Start menu option for executables, but not for folders.

The Pin option is not available in Classic Start, but dragging either a file or folder still works.

I get the picture - and dragging works for both executable and folders with either menu. Never been much of a pinner.

Nonic has plenty of options!

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

I misread the original post. For some reason, I was thinking you wanted to put something you could click on that would open your scanner to allow you to scan. That's what happens when I haven't been awake long enough for my brain cells to become fully functional.

Now that I realize what you want to do, there is a method for putting files on the LEFT hand side as shown in the image I posted. Thank you Joseibarra for mentioning drag and drop to the start menu. I am not a pinner either, but am willing to try things in order to find a solution.
I tried this, it works. However, it will not drag and drop to the right hand side of the menu where you wanted it to be.

Open up My Documents (or wherever the My Scans folder is). RIGHT click the folder, then choose Create Shortcut.
Put the shortcut on your desktop.
Next DRAG, the desktop shortcut to START, drop it in.
It should now show up on the start menu.

You could also leave the icon on your desktop and open it from there.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 November 2009 - 11:45 AM.

#13 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:02 AM

Hi joseibarra
Thank you for your detailed response. I am very grateful for all the information you have provided. I have viewed and bookmarked the two websites that you provided links to. I found the tweaklibrary site was easy to understand as the text was well supported with screen shots at each step. The kellys-korner web site has some really interesting tweaks.I have found and downloaded the #180 to my desktop. The icon that appeared on the desktop has the text "lowersmfolder add" underneath. I am not sure how to "add a .vbs extension to make it a VB Script file". I would really appreciate your advice on how to do this. Also, I do not know how to "look at it with a text editor". I would be gratefull for your time and patience if you could offer some help with this.
I have been giving serious consideration to your thoughts regarding the Quick Launch option. However, I would still appreciate your advice as how to add a .vbs extension and the text editor issue in order to improve my knowledge and understanding of computer terms and methodology.
I have read with great interest the comments posted by Queen-Evie and gully786 in relation to this issue. Their imput is also appreciated. I really don't know how you all find the time to contribute to these forums but it great that you are all so willing to share your time and expertise.
Thank you for the support.

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:55 AM

There are a lot of tips/tricks/tweaks on KK and at the very top of the page it gives some instructions, but sometimes people that are referred there with instructions like: "Go to Kelly's Korner and look at #180". Okay - now what? Not everybody knows what to do with a VB script or registry file.

When I see advice like that given, often the next message from the person with the issue is "Okay - I double clicked #180 and nothing happened - I still have my problem". Well, of course you do and now we have wasted a message cycle.

Most of the stuff there is either registry edits or VB Scripts. In order to apply them to you system, they need to have the correct extension.

When you click a VB script item, like #180 it will download lowersmfolderadd.download to your desktop (or wherever you download). You need to rename it and add a .vbs extension so it becomes lowersmfolderadd.download.vbs. It will then be recognized (by the extension) as a VB Script that will run when double clicked and it will run and do whatever it does.

Some of the tricks on the KK page are straight registry edit files and will just display a bunch of registry text when you double click them. What to do?! You need to select all, copy, open noepad, paste and then save the new file to your desktop with a .reg extension so your system will recognize it as a registry file which you can them import into the registry.

You need to look inside the file and then give it the .vbs extension if it is a VB script, or a .reg extension if it is a straight registry manipulator.

I like to put a .txt extension on them so it will be recognized as a text file (It is creepy to me to run things that have no explanation), then I can look at it with a text editor and see what it does and decide if I want to run the script or just edit the registry myself. If the files have no extension, you can still right click it and Open with or Send To a text editor to see inside.

Since almost all of those KK things involve the registry and there is no real explanation of what it does, how to undo it (sometimes there is an Undo) or where the stuff came from (who's machine?). More creepiness. I just save them to my desktop, look inside and decide what I want to do about it, which is usually do it myself by hand so I can understand it.

Don't misunderstand - I like Kelly just fine and she does good work that can quickly resolve some issues and does not have time to put instructions and explanations in every tip/trick. I need to know how everything works.

So, you should backup your registry first so after you make the changes, you can put your before registry back. Here is a popular free tool to do that:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I don't know what your needs are exactly, but if I needed to get into My Videos frequently, I would add a QL icon so I could go there anytime I wanted with just one mouse click. No clicking Start, sliding up to some folder, clicking again... No registry edits, etc.

If you don't like it, then you can add the folder to the left side with a drag/drop to the Start menu (still no registry edits). I try to be efficient!

Let us know what you decide to do and if you still need help.

#15 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi joseibarra
Thank you the great explanation and advice provided in your last post. Following your advice I have been able to see inside the downloaded file by adding a .txt extension and opened with Notepad. Although I could not understand what the contents actualy meant the reference to Doug Knox was revealed. A real sense of achievement for me to do this. I now have an understanding of the registry edits and VB Scripts
issues and I am very grateful for your explanations.
I am not confident that I am up to making alterations to the registry just yet. Therefore, after careful consideration I have decided the Quick Lauch icon would be the best option for me. I have successfully achieved this following the steps as you have described.
As you said,

just one mouse click. No clicking Start, sliding up to some folder, clicking again... No registry edits, etc.

A simple and effective solution - just what I was trying to achieve
Thank you also for the link to the ERUNT site. Although I have not used this tool as yet I have booked maked it for future reference. The "Detailed Information" tab contained some really useful information.
Joseibarra please accept my sincere appreciation for all the time and the excellent advice you have afforded me.
With many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users