Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Speeds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xXVirusXx

xXVirusXx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

My home network is set up with 2 routers. I have one router that is connected to the internet. I have another set up as a wireless access point and have my laptop hooked up to it. Also hooked up to that router is a Popcorn Hour A-110. It has an internal HD and I am trying to transfer files from external HD hooked up to my laptop. I'm using FTP and only getting around 7MB a second. Is the router sending from my AP to my starting router and all the way back? Is there a way to stop this? Both are Linksys wrt54gl with DD-WRT. Any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:54 AM

Connect your laptop wired to the AP and you'll get better speeds. Wireless is up to X amount with no guarantee of that speed. Normal LAN speed is 100Mbs and it is guaranteed. It will still be slowed down by the fact you have to pull the info off one HD, send it, then it has to write the info through the laptop to an external HD, which I assume is connected USB.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 29 October 2009 - 10:45 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users