Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[virus]computer restarts before windows xp loads

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MSIVX

MSIVX

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

I downloaded and ran an .exe which was marked as safe by Norton antivirus. when i ran it a command prompt window opened up and all i could see was some .exe being ran on it. Instantly after that, my computer restarted and At the part where windows xp starts loading, thats when the computer just restarts. It just does that every time, i tried with safe mode, and with "last good config," but it still just restarts right when windows starts loading.Right now im on my bleepty 2001 dell computer which i had to dig out of the closet.

When i ran it with "no restart on error" in the advanced options i get a blue screen with this error:

IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
*** STOP : 0x0000000A (C0x00000000, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x804FB03C)

Edited by MSIVX, 29 October 2009 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

Since this concerns an infection, I'm moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum for you from the XP forum.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

The first thing you should do is to get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 MSIVX

MSIVX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

i get the error IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

Edited by MSIVX, 29 October 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hello. This is most likely a Driver issue,unless you have McAfee installed.

Before i move this to XP I want to run a malware scan.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 MSIVX

MSIVX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

boopme, i cannot download anything because i can not get on windows xp. the computer gets the error EVERY time Windows XP starts loading. I think this is due to an infection because i never experienced this problem before and my computer restarted when i had ran this .exe.

I get this error :

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I really want to get back on my good computer because the one im on now is a dell my mom bought in 2001.

Edited by MSIVX, 29 October 2009 - 03:46 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Do you have the Install disk. You can boot off it and do a REpir install in XP.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

You may still need to update some thigs from vendors sites afterward.
I am mving this to the XP forum so that better eyes on this than mine can see.
\
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 MSIVX

MSIVX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

No, i used a windows xp 2001 cd which a friend gave me to install it onto my computer. Dont have any recovery or windows xp cd's :thumbsup:. If i did i would of reformatted and did a re-install of windows xp already.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

I downloaded and ran an .exe

So, what was this .exe file that you ran causing the problem?

Please try the following ...

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Step 1
Choose "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.

Step 2, if the first step fails to produce a positive result.
Choose "Safe Mode" and press the Enter key. Log into the "Administrator" account (rather than your own account).
If you do not get a BSOD ....
At the Desktop, try to bring up the Task Manager ...
Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc (all at the same time)
Does the Task Manager window appear or do you get a message ... ?

Please report the results of trying the above steps
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 Stomper_X

Stomper_X

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:09 AM

"Please report the results of trying the above steps "
Hello. I have the exact same problem here.
Literally the same numbers and everything.

I am also unable to boot at all, it never gets passed the opening screen before getting the same blue screen.

All forms of safe mode and Last Known Configuration do not work despite multiple attempts.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hello. I have the exact same problem here.

@ Stomper_X

Please start your own new thread in the "Windows XP Home and Pro" forum if you would like some help with your problem. It is just too confusing to attempt to help two people in the same thread.

Thank you.

Edited by AustrAlien, 05 November 2009 - 03:11 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users