Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I import my outlook express address book with groups

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 khark

khark

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

How do I import my old Outlook express address book with groups into a new installation of Outlook Express?

I got a new computer and would like to import my address book from the old computer. I saved the old address book but when I try to import it into the new computer it loses all of the folders and groups and puts everything into the main contacts list.

Note that it is OE to OE not OE to Outlook.

If I knew where the main address book is stored I could probably just rename the old address book the same as the main book and overwrite it.

Can anybody help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

On your old computer open OE and click on File, Export, Address Book. Choose Text file (comma seperated values) and press Export. Enter the place you want to save the address list, for example a floppy in your floppy drive, which would be :

a:\address.csv

Press next and put a checkmark in each box and then press finsih.

It will create the floopy on your floppy. Put that floppy in the new machine, and this time after opening OE, click on File, then Import, then Other Address Book, and select text file(comma seperated values) and press import. Specify the file a:\address.csv and press next.

Put a check in each box and press finish. You should now have all your addresses imported.

#3 khark

khark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the idea but the problem is that I don't have the old computer now. I saved the address book as a wab file thinking I could just use it but when I import it I lose all of the folders and groups and it puts everything in the main group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users