Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A dumb question but does having games installed in your computer results in slow down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

I want to know if having games installed in your computer will it slow down the loading of windows. When I say loading of windows, I don't mean when you see the windows logo and the logging bar under it. I mean right before it goes it goes to the user log in. My user log in is a box style (like when you click my computer, something like that). My other laptop has the same protection files, Norton Corp, Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, SpyBot, no games really installed.

In the computer I normally use I have 3 games installed in my computer, 2 of which are over 1 GB. Both computers total space is 55 GB. 767 MB Ram, 2 GHz, Win XP SP 3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Unless those games are set to load on startup, they should not have any effect on the amount of time it takes Windows to load.

Since you have Spybot installed, you can use that to find out if they are set to load at startup. Just look in the startup section, which is located in the tools section when using advance view, in Spybot to make sure you do not have those games set to run at startup. You can manage all your startup programs from there by just unchecking the box for it there. Make sure you do NOT uncheck anything that is part of Windows. If you do not know for certain what a file is, do NOT uncheck it. If you have any questions about the programs that are listed there, you can post them here and we will help you find out what they are for.

Edited by Stang777, 28 October 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Does it effect windows start up?

I donno why it takes so long to get into user log in. (the loading takes a long time right before this. And its the type in user and password style, not the click on user and add password).

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

Having games installed should no more effect your boot time than having a bunch of pictures on your hard drive. The delay may, though, be caused by other applications that launch themselves on start up. Have you defragged your hard drive recently?
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

Yep, I usually defrag every week

btw is 1-2 minutes average start up time? My other laptop takes like 15-30 seconds.

Edited by CalusBlade, 01 November 2009 - 09:27 AM.

#6 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

I just read somewhere that FireFox 3.5 can cause slow start up. Is this true?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users