Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't reinstall XP ; won't go past the Windows Setup screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 griff10672

griff10672

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

Trying to recover from the Active Security virus . Finally decided to reformat and reinstall . Tried to boot from the disc ( included with my Dell )
It starts up fine ... loads the drivers ... get's to the " Windows Setup Screen " and then doesn't let me do anything ...

I've hit Enter " to continue "
I've tried " r " for recovery
and I've tried pressing F3 to escape

nothing ..... just freezes

I can't get to Windows XP that is already installed anymore either ... I get the Blue Screen

Any Safe mode option leads to blue screen

I was able to get to Windows before I uninstalled sevice pack 3 ( which I guess now is a obvious mistake )

when I tried to reinstall while in Windows using the setup.exe on the cd It told me it couldn't install a older version of Windows over the new one ( serv 3 ) that's what led me to uninstall serv 3 .

I just want to reformat and reinstall and get everything back to factory settings .....

Is this still possible ??? All the posts I've read so far seem to point in the direction of using recovery from the setup screen which it won't let me do !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW: You cannot install XP...from inside XP.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hey Louis !!

It's a Dell Dimension E510

I'll read your attachment

thanks for the reply !!

#4 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

I've read through http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

and still get stuck at the spot where I'm suppose to hit Enter ( #6 ) in their instrucions ....

I've got the 3 options at that point .

" Enter "
" r "
" F3 "

I've tried 5 or 6 times on each one .... no response at all .... just sits on that screen

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

Those instructions were written for users with Microsoft XP CDs...not recovery/install/restore CDs supplied by Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.

To see your procedures for recovering/restoring your system...you need to (probably) go to the Dell website and review the manual covering your system.

Worth reading, note the confusion about the disks mentioned: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/1896...p;cs=&s=gen

Louis

#6 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

as far as I know ... the Dell Recovery disc is just a standard copy of XP with their graphics ..

anyway I have tried also booting of the disc with a general copy of XP with the exact same results ...

this exact disc worked on my son's cpu 3 weeks ago ...

but on my cpu ... it won't get past the Windows Setup screen ....

I changed the Bios to boot from the disc .... everything runs fine .... loads the drivers .... and then the setup screen ... that doesn't acknowledge I exist ...

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Do you need a SATA or RAID driver?

Setup will start copying files, if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers press F6 at this time. the copying of files can take awhile.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

Do you need a SATA or RAID driver?

Setup will start copying files, if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers press F6 at this time. the copying of files can take awhile.

not sure .... I wondered that myself ... how would I know ???

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thinking about it some more, I would imagine that if you are using the disk that came with the computer it should already have the appropriate drivers.

Do you have a different keyboard that you could use during the installation procedure?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

Thinking about it some more, I would imagine that if you are using the disk that came with the computer it should already have the appropriate drivers.

Do you have a different keyboard that you could use during the installation procedure?

yeah I have a few hanging around ... a old non USB one and a fairly newer USB one .

should I try with either of those ??

right now I'm running the Utility Partion Diagnostics " Cannot Boot OS "

taking it's time

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

First I would try the non-USB one.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

still waiting for the " cannot boot the OS " diagnostics to finish ...

problem plugging in the non usb keyboard .... there isn't a outlet/port for it ... it's all USB as far as I can see ....

#13 griff10672

griff10672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

Utility Partition Diagnostics showed nothing was wrong ....

tried another usb keyboard .... same thing .... hangs at the Windows Setup screen ... when trying to install

Reading some of the articles you gus posted for me ... I tried the F5 button to switch or pick a " HAL ' I think it's called ...

no change .... other than some of them freeze before the others but none of the choice got me past the Setupscreen ....

still blue screens on all safe mode options ... and will still not boot to the current version of Windows that is installed ...

Edited by griff10672, 29 October 2009 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users