Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Easy Transfer; XP to Windows 7; Password Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Slowhand7

Slowhand7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

I'm trying to copy across files and settings from my old pc (XP Professional Edition) to my new Windows 7 PC, using Easy Transfer. I have tried twice so far, and each time, when I reach the end of the process, I get a message that says “Type the password for your old computer”, and “Protected content was recently transferred to this computer. Type the password for your user account on the old computer listed below to update the content protection on your new account.”

When I input my password from my user account on the old machine, I get a message “The password is incorrect.” However, I am certain that the password is correct.

The only option I have to continue is to press cancel. When I do that, I have no access to any folders or files in My Documents.

I also the program settings have not been transferred (Or at least do not seem to be acknowledged by the various programs).

Thanks for helping

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

You should use a USB disk to transfer file and do not use any passwords in the process.
If you are transferring over a network cable, make sure you are logged on in both computers.

Have a look : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179/migrat...nd-a-usb-drive/

#3 Kevin909

Kevin909

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:41 AM

I'm having precisely the same problem as Slowhand7, using the external USB hard drive method offered by Microsoft. Thanks Romeo29, but I don't care to use the USB flash drive method because 1)I don't have a massive 150GB+ flash drive laying around, and I'm already knee-deep in the process under using the hard drive.

Also, I did *not* specify a password for the "Easy Transfer" process. The user password it wants from the old machine is precisely that. If the documentation were a little more technical about what it's trying and failing to do, that would be nice but it would seem to be digital rights management related (?)

One small suspision I have about the problem... my "old" computer password was only two characters... short I know, but not particularly inappropriate for a machine locked in my house and a tightly watched firewall. So... is it possible that Easy Transfer is getting uppity about me trying to enter a particularly "weak" password and not accepting it...even though what I enter is truly correct? I've had related password difficulties before.

Slowhand7... just to help my hunch, did you have a password under XP, and was it you use a password, and is it particularly short or simple?

Thanks anyone for ideas! I'm now in computer limbo with my Window7 partly scrambled and my XP formatted over. Fortunately, my decades of paranoia in this field led me to make a full MS backup in addition to the "Easy TransfeR" copy of everything. Hey Microsoft... a little more testing for us next time?

--Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users