Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dale in GA

Dale in GA

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

The three computers in the household are connected by a wireless network. One - my wife's - went down to a virus (Police ro) that I'm attempting to fix on another thread here.

I've been having some problems on my computer with Firefox so I uninstalled it and installed Opera.

So I was moving from my computer to my wife's, downloading stuff from this site to my flashdrive, bringing it to her computer, etc. Recently, I was having some problems with Firefox, so I uninstalled it and installed Opera instead. Then my computer started randomly freezing, necessitating a reboot. One day it would happen three times, the next none. Yesterday it was five or six times. (I thought it might be Opera, but one time it froze without Opera having been opened.) The last time it happened last night, I just powered down and went to bed.

This morning, I turned on the computer. McAfee alerted me that something was trying to make a change to my registry. I read through the alert and it identified the change as one which would permit redirects while on the web, so I told McAfee to block the change.

When I turned on Opera, it displayed all the tabs I had open last night, but only one - my homepage - had any content. All the others were blank.

I couldn't open any websites, and the homepage it showed was a cached version.

IE similarly displayed no content.

In subsequent tinkering, I've learned that the internet connection works - my daughter's computer accesses it. I can see her computer from "My Network Places" on my computer, but I cannot access my router using Opera, IE or Firefox (I reinstalled it). I can access the router through her computer as well.

So my daughter's computer is fully functional, but my wife's and mine are crippled, and noether can access the internet.

I ran mabm - it identifed and removed 28 infections, but they mostly looked like adware-type things, plus one trojan and two items called "security.disable" or something like that.

Kind of at my wits' end - and wondering if I shouldn't just go somewhere and have them reformat the drive and reiinstall XP on it.

Edited by Dale in GA, 28 October 2009 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hello . let's try MBAm again after this.
Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hello . let's try MBAm again after this.
Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again

You mean run MBSM after successfully running rkill? And if it freezes, I'm going to have to reboot.

Edited by Dale in GA, 28 October 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

Yes, and if if you reboot you have to rerun RKill if you have NOT run MBAM yet.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

Yes, and if if you reboot you have to rerun RKill if you have NOT run MBAM yet.

When I ran the .pif file, the "My Documents" screen opened up and I got an alert for a registry change (something to do with how the home page is set and reset).

Is this a normal result of running rkill.pif?

(BTW, the DOS bos is still open in the middle of the screen, and the phrase "The operation completed successfully" is iterated six or seven times.

Edited by Dale in GA, 28 October 2009 - 03:39 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

It looks OK,but are you running SpyBot?

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Edited by boopme, 28 October 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#7 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

It looks OK,but are you running SpyBot?

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

I can't update - remember, the affected computer has lost internet access - I installed MBAM from a flashdrive.

Could I install MBAM to the flashdrive (on the working computer) and then insert it in the affected computer and run it from there, with the updates, without having to actually install it on the affected computer?

Anyway: I ran all four because the DOS window stayed open on each one. Each time I ran it, the "My Documents" Explorer screen opened. On the first one, there was that registry change. I decided that whatever was going to happen, had happened, when the cursor started blinking at the bottom of the text in the DOS screen. Then I deleted that version of rkill and moved on to the next.

Each version produced two files - an .exe file and a text file the looked like a list of ransomware (didn't realize there were so many!)

Running MBAM now - the short version, I expect another ten minutes or so.

#8 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

Okay, MBAM finished running and returned 0 infections.

Here's the first MBAM report - the one with the 28 infections:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2775
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/28/2009 2:47:03 PM
mbam-log-2009-10-28 (14-47-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 105675
Time elapsed: 20 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 8
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 7
Files Infected: 11

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{faa356e4-d317-42a6-ab41-a3021c6e7d52} (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\The Weather Channel (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Weather Services (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\180solutions (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\180solutions\FLEOK (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTbar (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTsvc (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Media Access (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\SideFind (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\SideFind\update (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\180solutions\sais.log (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\180solutions\saisau.dat (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\180solutions\sais_kyf.dat (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTbar\imagemap_normal.bmp (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTbar\imagemap_over.bmp (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTbar\Thumbs.db (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTbar\version.txt (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ISTbar\xml_istbar.xml (Adware.MediaAccess) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\SideFind\sfexd001 (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\tvmknwrd.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Here's the second - the one with zero infections:

Database version: 2775

10/28/2009 5:22:47 PM
mbam-log-2009-10-28 (17-22-47).txt

Objects scanned: 105752
Time elapsed: 26 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Tried to access Internet again, no success. Noticed that my computer was "Acquiring Network Address." Watched it try that for a while (5-10 mins). Started poking around, noticed that Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Service was off. I told the computer to turn it on, it tried, but then said it couldn't do it.

Edited by Dale in GA, 28 October 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

Ok we are progressing. My bad on the up date.

See if this fixes your Net issues .

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine

REmember we have rebooted now so we should run RKill once more.

#10 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hm . . . seems to have done the trick, as I'm sending this from the computer that was affected.

Just curious how it happened. I'm also curious if the other stuff I did today might have a future impact (the rkill apps, for instance).

BTW - for the next person - the command you gave me triggered a registry change, and McAfee alerted me to that change.

ETA - What a yutz I am - forgot to say thank you!!

Thanks so much!

Edited by Dale in GA, 28 October 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

Ok , great. yes the tool will change the Reg key that the malware writer installed to prevent other tools from running.
Once we can get NBAm and some others to run Rkill will not be neccessary.

Also look in Control Panel,Add Remove for any prohrams like IstBar and 180 solutions and remove them if they exist.

Now let's try MBAM again.

Edited by boopme, 28 October 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#12 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Database version: 3050

10/28/2009 10:09:08 PM
mbam-log-2009-10-28 (22-09-07).txt

Objects scanned: 111477
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 16 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

MBAM didn't find anything, but in the process, Avast! found six viruses and trojans.

So everything seems to be good - thanks again! (I wonder when you guys will be able to get to my other computer).

Take good care

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Good. Probably another day or two. HJT is very busy.
Did you use a Flash Drive between these PC's?

#14 Dale in GA

Dale in GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Good. Probably another day or two. HJT is very busy.
Did you use a Flash Drive between these PC's?

Yeah, I scanned the flashdrive with MABM and it came back clean.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

Ok ,I wanted to be sure we're not cross infecting machines.
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users