Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Samsung DVD Writer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 doe22

doe22

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

I need to boot off of a CD but have been having some trouble with that. I've tried a several different things and, as far as I can tell, it should be working. What I'm wondering now is if it's even possible for me to boot off of a CD using my drive.

I have a Samsung SH-S223Q DVD Writer. Please let me know if I wouldn't be able to boot from a CD using this.

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

The short answer, yes. Note the bold text with <.

Model
Brand SAMSUNG
Type DVD Burner
Model SH-S223Q
Performance
Cache 2MB
WRITE Speed
DVD+R 22X
DVD+RW 8X
DVD-R 22X
DVD-RW 6X
CD-R 48X
CD-RW 32X
DVD+R DL 16X
DVD-R DL 12X
DVD-RAM 12X
READ Speed <
DVD-ROM 16X
CD-ROM 48X <

Physical Spec
LightScribe Support Yes
Form Factor 5.25"
Panel Color Black
Configuration
Load Type Tray
Interface SATA

#3 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thank you very much. It must be something else that's preventing me from booting.

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

I need to boot off of a CD but have been having some trouble with that. I've tried a several different things and, as far as I can tell, it should be working. What I'm wondering now is if it's even possible for me to boot off of a CD using my drive.

I have a Samsung SH-S223Q DVD Writer. Please let me know if I wouldn't be able to boot from a CD using this.

Thanks a lot!

Have you set the Samsung as the first boot device in the BIOS?

#5 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

Have you set the Samsung as the first boot device in the BIOS?

Yes, I've also checked the disk on another computer. It should all be working but it just isn't. I don't know what's wrong.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

It is possible that for what ever reason it just quit reading CDs. Had a different model Samsung do the very same thing. Would read\write just fine to DVDs but no matter what I did, including updating the firmware, it refused to recognize CDs. Did not matter if they were raw\formatted\contained data of any kind.

I would have suggested clearing the upper and lower filters in the Win registry but this would have no effect on the unable to boot from issue.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

I had a lite on like that. in my old system I had a lite on DVD writer that would NOT read or burn CDs so I had to have a seperate CD burner as well. The problem Im having now is I have a samsung DVD burner with lightscribe and it reads writes all CDs and DVDs with one exception, it wont read music CDs of any type (original artist or burned) no clue why its driving me bonkers. computers are like that though. I have a mechanic at work who blames weird things happening in our trucks on gremlins, well sometimes I wonder if computers dont have gremlins that wreck havoc to. tell me, have you had your drive installed on a computer and used to to read CDs? if it doesnt read CDs at all then most likely you got a defective drive (yes the dvd part can still work, many combo drives use 2 lenses) otherwise its either a gremlin, a setting, or perhaps the boot disc isnt in the right format.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

I still don't know what the problem is, the disk drive will read discs once the machine is on and Windows is running, but I still can't boot from any CD or DVD. Either way, I accomplished what I needed to on another computer, but thank you all very much for your help. If I do ever figure out the problem I'll post to let you know.

Thanks again!

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

Have read where some mobos do have problems booting from a SATA interface.

Only learned of this after a Friend gave me a brand new Plextor CD\DVD when it turned out his was one of the mobos.

Glad you got things worked out.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

FWIW: You might try deleting the upper/lower filters as described in the following link. It may do nothing, it may solve it...it seems to solve various optical drive situations.

Upper & Lower Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

Warning: The proposed procedure, though routine for many situations...constitutes a registry edit. Editing the registry can have unsatisfactory consequences, due to user mistakes or lack of precision in executing prescribed edits. Before beginning such, you are urged to back up your registry.

An excellent tool for doing such: ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users