Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS upgrading thoughts!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

This is not a tech question just gathering some thoughts. When MS stops supporting a version of Windows how many feel it is necessary upgrade to a newer OS? My feelings is with a good security suite most would be just fine using their current OS>

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

you know, the reality of it is, Im willing to bet that those few people still using windows 3.1 have absolutly no problems with viruses anymore. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

My feelings are the same as yours Phil, in fact, even though updates are still offered for XP, I never use them. I did not switch to XP until March of 2008 and never worried about updates before then while I was using Win98SE.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

I agree somewhat, OldPhil, if your current system is running just fine, and you can keep it properly secured, than you shouldn't feel that you must upgrade.

Having said that, an older OS will certainly become less secure as updates no longer become available.

There is a "fun" factor in upgrading to a newer OS and discovering and using the new stuff that it brings and for many, this is enough to tip the scales and they update.

On both of my PCs (desktop and notebook), I'm dual booting, keeping Vista while I move to Win 7 at my own pace. A lot of folks do this since it gives them the best of both worlds, so to speak.

However, you ask when MS stops supporting an OS, and the same would be considered when Apple stops supporting an OS:

if you use the computer on the Internet, then your gradual loss of security updates will put you at risk. Only you can decide how important this is to you.

if you never connect to the Internet or introduce programs or data from another source, the computer and OS will serve you for as long as it can, I would say.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

on the security note, you can often find third party security features that are supported by an older OS much longer then microsoft will. And often, the third party ones can be just as effective, if not more so, then upgrading. I mean I use XP home on my laptop, using a third party firewall, and its just as secure as my vista ultimate. I use the same third party security on both. (I dont trust microsoft security if you havent picked up on that yet). but ya no reason why you "have" to upgrade if you dont want to.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

Yes, the_patriot09 -

except, once an OS is no longer supported, there will not be an additional security updates for the OS, leaving it vulnerable to exploits that third party security software will not recognize and will not be able to provide protection regarding the security problem.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

depends. I use comodo firewall, and it actually covers all the holes that windows security covers, plus more. I typically leave my windows firewall and security features off, and It runs very secure. Each computer has an individual firewall plus my router has a hardware firewall built in, and Im planning on someday making a linux box with firwall to route all my other computers through. My dad used to have that setup and we had no security issues whatsoever. :D

picard5.jpg

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Ah, I'm not talking about problems that a firewall protects.

A security flaw that is identified in, say, Win 98, will not be acted upon by Microsoft, nor eventually, will any other security product since it will take the vendor's time and money to develop the protection and they will not realize any way to recover it. Indeed, many current AV, AS, or Firewall vendors have already abandoned support for W98.

I'd be surprised to find any PC Security expert who will tell you otherwise.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

hide that win 98 system behind a linux firewall, and security breach or not its gonna be secure. :D

picard5.jpg

#10 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Once the majority switch to the newer OS most hackers will move to the new OS as well and spend less time on older OS so like most have said have a if your OS runs no problem then wasting money on a new OS which will probably run the same is useless and having a gd antivirus software is the main protection not security updates although they are significant

Having the best antivirus cannot sve u if u surf the net without takin some precaution

#11 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:45 AM

Yes, the_patriot09 -

except, once an OS is no longer supported, there will not be an additional security updates for the OS, leaving it vulnerable to exploits that third party security software will not recognize and will not be able to provide protection regarding the security problem.

When this happens you know your OS will not be gd enough to run new technology :thumbsup:

Edited by gully786, 03 November 2009 - 06:46 AM.

#12 bealer46

bealer46

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

i didnt see anything that win7 offers that is worth upgrading for.ill stick with xp for now.when the security patches stop then i will start to think about it

#13 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Yes, the_patriot09 -

Actually, running an old OS (like Win 98/98SE) is fairly safe now. It's like a bass-ackwards version of "security by obscurity" in that the security holes in it aren't being targeted anymore. The bastiches :flowers: have moved on to meatier things. There's probably nothing in the last few years worth of malware that can even RUN on 98, the code's just not there in 98 to hook onto.

The biggest risk is picking up an old DOS-based piece of malware that's been just laying around (as in that floppy you just HAD to check out).

Where the problem lies now for dinosaurs like 98 is finding antivirus/firewall/etc apps that will still run on them.

I'm just poking holes in your argument :thumbsup:

As much as I like 98SE, I'm retiring it except for playing old DOS games on an old K6 III+ machine I've kept reasonably "state of the Ark".

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

I've never had a computer survive long enough for the OS to get outdated and unsupported. If they've made it 4 or more years most likely I'm running Linux on them and that get updated every 6 months.

Posted Image

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:33 AM

There's an ancient box in m office which runs our voicemail system. It runs OS/2 Warp. Solid as a rock!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users