Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Verdict

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

I use this site and try to contribute as best I can. Windows 7 has been on the shelves for 5 days or so. Can I get an opinion on it's upgrade as an easier operating system. Graphics, audio,ect.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 llynara

llynara

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

I have the RC version of Windows 7 installed beside Vista. I hated Vista with a passion, never used it much (had another laptop that was XP and then Ubuntu), but I LOVE Windows 7! It is what Vista should have been. It's a lot faster, seems to run lighter on the hardware. Graphics are gorgeous, even on a two year old Acer bargain-bin laptop from Walmart. I have not done a direct upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, but it seems to run fine in dual boot so far. I have installed my favorite software from XP on Windows 7 and had very few problems. If in doubt, you can always run it in a multitude of compatibility modes.

I've been using Windows 7 for a couple of months and have no complaints. (And yes, this is coming from a user who works heavily on XP and plays on Linux!)
Cheers,
Llyn :huh:

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

I tend to agree with Ilynara.

I have XP, Vista Home Basic and Home Premium, and have been dual booting XP with the RC of Win7 Ultimate since June and am very happy with it. Seldom used anything else since then. There have been some niggles but I will be installing Win 7 on all my computers over the next few days.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

What more, if your CPU processor support virtualization, you can download and install Windows XP mode pack (500 MB) which makes any program run in a virtual Windows XP mode. Definitely a move from Microsoft, to make people get rid of Windows XP. But I am liking it :huh:

#5 Chris7251m

Chris7251m

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the comments, I have vista, new machine, and I have a free download of Windows 7. I just hate getting something when what I have works OK.. Decisions, decisions...

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

If you have Vista, there is no real compelling reason to upgrade just yet. Windows 7 is not all that different, and patches to Vista have sufficiently fixed the problems that people complained about during the initial release.

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

If you have Vista, there is no real compelling reason to upgrade just yet. Windows 7 is not all that different, and patches to Vista have sufficiently fixed the problems that people complained about during the initial release.

Thanks Groovicus, I was really upset buying Ultimate right before the announced 7, I felt cheated. My 32 bit rig is running great, audio sonic is much better than XP. I may try 64 bit next year.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#8 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

I concur. I say if what you're working with is working great, why go up to 7. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right? However, I am so pleasantly surprised by how outstanding Windows 7 has been so far (using Windows 7 Pro for over a month now, in a 500+ PC networked environment) that I urge anyone who can upgrade to go for it. Obviously it is ESSENTIAL to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your PC won't have any performance, compatibility or driver related issues. (I'm still without audio. (Crappy Sigmatel HD onboard)

Edited by Eric RBA, 30 October 2009 - 09:30 AM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#9 llynara

llynara

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

Another reason to wait to upgrade (or install next to your current OS as dual boot instead):

Windows 7 endless reboot answer evades Microsoft
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/913...vades_Microsoft

This is apparently a huge problem for people upgrading from Vista. I have not had one problem doing new installs (of the RC) on multiple computers in my household. Sounds like the upgrade path is causing nightmares for some people and needs to have some kinks worked out. Best to wait till they figure out what this is!
Llyn :huh:

Edited by llynara, 30 October 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#10 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:55 AM

I concur. I say if what you're working with is working great, why go up to 7. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right? However, I am so pleasantly surprised by how outstanding Windows 7 has been so far (using Windows 7 Pro for over a month now, in a 500+ PC networked environment) that I urge anyone who can upgrade to go for it. Obviously it is ESSENTIAL to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your PC won't have any performance, compatibility or driver related issues. (I'm still without audio. (Crappy Sigmatel HD onboard)

The reason is you'd be actually missing out on fantastic features that'd increase your productivity. The snap feature to compare windows, the jump lists, and simply, it's just downright pleasing on the eye.

While I do agree they improved Vista significantly, I would have to disagree with not having a reason to upgrade to Windows 7. They got it right this time, thats for sure.

#11 secret_id

secret_id

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

I recently switched from xp to 7 and it has been great. I stayed away from vista but I am really enjoying this. I particularly enjoy not having to install any drivers. I can't really comment on vista but for those of you on XP still I think it's time to make the switch.

#12 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

The reason is you'd be actually missing out on fantastic features that'd increase your productivity. The snap feature to compare windows, the jump lists, and simply, it's just downright pleasing on the eye.

While I do agree they improved Vista significantly, I would have to disagree with not having a reason to upgrade to Windows 7. They got it right this time, thats for sure.

In case you missed it, I said I did move to Win7. If someone is happy with Vista and can't afford to upgrade yet then they can just be happy with what they have. That's all I'm saying.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#13 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

I don't really understand this talk of 'upgrading'.

Win 7 is a new operating system and is installed over the top of your existing one, or onto a separate partition or drive. I have been using the 32bit RC 7100 since it came out in June, as a dual boot with XP.

Have stayed away from 64bit up till now after all the talk of problems, but it would seem that 32 bit is like XP and will fade away over the next few years, so 64bit will be the way to go in the future. Anyway, yesterday I bit the bullet and installed Win7 64bit and have had few problems so far - had to go to the manufacturer's site and get a new driver for the wireless adapter, but that's not a big deal.

I notice that I now have 2 C:/Program Files. One marked 32bit and one marked 64bit so the system seems to sort itself out. Working on an overseas computer with TeamViewer last night and it is just like working on my own machines. TeamViewer has always been good but you do notice the difference in speed with the 64bit version. (2 minutes from shutdown to working again where it used to be 7 min - much cleaner machine of course, but that's not bad.)

Have left 100GB spare partition on the drive to install the 32bit if necessary, but will stick with the 64bit and see how it goes. All looks good so far. My opinion anyway.

Cheers  :huh:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#14 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Worked on a few final release Windows 7 machines so far and have to say its a huge improvement on Vista. I already had the Windows 7 Ultimate Release Candidate which was a breeze to install and it went in 64bit without a problem. Havent found any of my usual software that wont work with it so far.

For all those out there on Vista saying 'whats the point it looks the same' - its the same as buying a ferrari kit car based on a trans-am rather than buying the real thing. The difference is performance and it behaves like Vista should have done from day one rather than Microsofts marketing model of 'upgrade your hardware to suit'. Theres even netbooks for sale running it!

The new features of Windows 7 dont really do much for me, its like anything, we all prefer whats familiar until we find a use for it. I've stayed clear of Vista and even installed XP Pro on my laptop when that came with it (which Acer didn't support as no drivers on their site).

I now have four copies of Window 7 Ultimate on the way to sort out all my machines and will take it from there. Heres hoping I dont end up eating my words :huh:

#15 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

Another reason to wait to upgrade (or install next to your current OS as dual boot instead):

Windows 7 endless reboot answer evades Microsoft
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/913...vades_Microsoft

This is apparently a huge problem for people upgrading from Vista. I have not had one problem doing new installs (of the RC) on multiple computers in my household. Sounds like the upgrade path is causing nightmares for some people and needs to have some kinks worked out. Best to wait till they figure out what this is!
Llyn :huh: Speaking of the upgrade path, I have a client who didn't register XP, now they bought an Upgrade disk Vista Basic. I can't do a clean install on another hdd with this disk fresh can I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users