Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are children who grow up in poor families less likely to succeed?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

I've heard from many people throughout my life that kids who grow up poor are less likely to suceed later in life then those who don't. Do you believe this is true?

Personally I believe that in most cases this is true. Throughout my entire life my family has been pretty poor. We've often had to go to food pantries in order to feed ourselves and get help from different programs to help pay for our bills. I desperetly want to change the position we are currently in and make to sure that later in life when I have a family of my own they don't have to go through what we are going through right now, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do that. For the past year or so I've been trying to get a part-time job for after school, but haven't been able to get one. Because of the poor fiancial state we are in, we have litterally NO money put away for my college education. A job would've enabled me to help with the bills and allowed me to put away atleast a little bit of money for college. I'm going to be a senior in high school next year and I'm probably not going to be able to go the college of my choice. I might not even be able to afford to go to a community college. The chances of me getting a scholarship are also very very low. I just don't how kids in my position are supposed to suceed in life when there familes are barely able to put food on the table or keep a roof over their heads.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

OmegamB....Your road is a rocky and hard one,BUT make no mistake, IT's NOT an impossible one!!

The only way you can fail is if you quit!....you just keep right on lookin for a job and sooner or later you will hit pay dirt!!
Here's where you school counselor's can be of invalueable help!!! they can help you get hooked up with a work/study job...and if you truely do want to go to college, they can also help you find the fundin that you need,some in the form of loan's that you won't have to pay back until after you graduate college, some that you won't ever have to pay back....and the ones that you will have to pay back ,dob't have to start bein payed back until 10 years after you graduate college.....once you are in college,there are job's on campus that you can get to help support yourself, your tuition will also cover your room/board/some meals...ect.....
where there's a will ,there's a way!!

I hope this help's!

MissPlaced

P.S., you might want to talk with your local pastor/minister..tell him about your hopes and dreams....their usually pretty connected to the community, and may know of some job's that you're not aware of....they know people that might be able to help you out with college as well.....and i'm sure that he will be willing to speak on your behalf....

OmegamB, a dream is a seed planted in your heart...what you do with it is up to you....my best to you.

Edited by MissPlaced, 28 October 2009 - 10:07 PM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hello OmegamB,

It is very important that you file a FAFSA each year at the appropriate time and as quickly as possible. Don't wait for the deadline, get those applications in as soon as allowed for each academic year. Here is the website: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ It is well worth reading and exploring because of the information it contains. You might not think that you have a good chance of getting financial assistance, but that is far from the case. There is a lot of need-based financial assistance including Pell Grants: http://www.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html If you are from Indiana and go to a state university such as I.U., Purdue, Indiana State, Ball State, etc., there is also the Higher Education Award. I'm certain that other states have financial assistance for students attending in-state universities. In addition to all this is the work-study program.: http://www.ed.gov/programs/fws/index.html This is different than an internship and is a need-based award. These are jobs, generally on campus, that the govt. mostly pays the wages for. I had work-study for each semester I was an undergraduate student. There is also a great deal of financial assistance for first generation college students.

There are also student loans which would have to be paid back once you finish or leave college. Generally, you have to start repayment within 6 to 9 months of either leaving or graduating college. The repayment plan is generally 10 years. Some of these loans have a program associated with them that if you agree to work in certain areas, parts of the loans will be forgiven. That said, loans should be a last resort. If you really need them, that's one thing. Interest on student loans is generally much less expensive than other types of credit, but you don't want to saddle yourself with a student loan debt that rivals the amount of a mortgage. The less debt you have on graduating college the better. A college education is no guarantee of a job much less a high-paying job. It does allow for greater opportunities to get a decent job.

Yes, do talk to your High School counselors and teachers you trust. Talk also with the financial aid departments of the schools you are interested in and find out what is available. Some universities have their own financial assistance programs for first generation college students. Some also have programs that help first generation college students acclimate to the university setting and provide mentoring and additional tutoring and instruction. Please look into these and take advantage of them. College is a very different cultural arena, and people who don't have a background in it often do not understand the incredible work and time involved in getting a college education.

Make no mistake; it will be difficult and challenging - but you can manage. Here are some strategies for reducing costs:

When you get your textbook lists for classes, see if you can find copies in the University library. Talk to the professors and find out if they can put copies in reserve. If neither of these are possible, check used bookstores. This is a really good strategy if you have literature classes. These books are often much less expensive than the used books in the campus bookstore. Also, check online textbook sites, but be certain to take shipping and handling into account. When I was an undergraduate student, I bought very few books, and only one or two were new. This saved me hundreds of dollars.

At the beginning of each semester, sit down and write a budget. Make it realistic, but be sure to stick with it. It is way to easy to spend far more money than you can afford on small every day things: the can of soda in the machine, the candy bar in the convenience store etc. Leave your money and plastic at home in a safe place so you aren't tempted to use them except on necessities.

Beware the credit card applications and advertising: These are a major financial danger.

You're much better off without a car. Cars eat a lot of money: gas, maintanence, insurance, etc. Walk, ride a bike, or use public transportation. The university you attend may have transportation covered in the fees they charge you. Take advantage of it. Here at IU Bloomington, if you are an IU student, you get to ride on city transit and IU Campus buses for no additional charge. All you do is show your student ID. The transportation fee charged to all students covers the bus fares.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

I would have to say yes and no. yes because they start out a step behind those from richer families-they dont have access to the education and resources that would make moving up the corporate ladder easier. but on the same hand, ive seen people who have money who get to the top fast only to not know what to do with it because they were never taught how to use the money because it was given to them, and have their business fail. Also, may children in poor homes, not all, but many, don't have positive influences to encourage them to make a life for themselves, and in fact have negative influences telling them to turn to a life of crime. now, these are all things working against them. working for them though, one is that the opportunites are still there. especially in America, it is a free country and to be honest, if one is willing to work hard and show he has talent, he can often make a success of oneself, he or she just may have to work harder then someone who started off better financially. two, most people I know who are considered poor, don't want to be, and often have a drive many rich kids just plain don't have. I have seen several people who started life dirt poor but became successful through hard work, and I have learned that poor does not mean unintelligent. I think the chances of their success has to do with how hard their willing to work, and if you ask me, yes, Divine intervention. on the other hand though, you have to define sucess. I consider myself a successful person. no, im not filthy rich, in fact I don't have a lot of money to my name, would probably be barely skimming the bottom of the middle class in America, but Im happy. I have a wife, a warm place to live, food, 2 vehicles both paid off, and relatively few bills. while I don't have cash flowing out my ears, I also don't have debt hanging out the windows either. I have family that loves me and good friends, Im happy and content, and I think that as long as a person can reach a point in their life where they are happy and content with where they are and who they are, then they are successful regardless of how thick their wallet is.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

That is nonsense. Abe Lincoln lived in what we call a three sided lean-to, he walked ten miles to get books to read and became President...one of our greatest. He had basically zero funds. Stop winingl...there are plenty of opportunities for "poor kids" to become educated in this society. That's what America is all about. You can make it here if you have motivation to make it. There is plenty of financial help out there via grants and scholarships.

These socialogical arguments are made mostly by academics who never worked a real job in their lives.

44 guy

#6 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

@ 44guy....
To a point you're right, This is america and the land of opportunity, and this is where we part company...
Yes there are some great program's out there, BUT if you don't know that they're there, then what good does it do you???,I think that the OP was lookin for a place to start and valid information, I didn't for a moment percieve it as whinin.....

These socialogical arguments are made mostly by academics who never worked a real job in their lives.

44 guy

and this statement is without validity or merit.....I personally come from "blue collar" stock and have worked my tail off all of my life....
Until you've walked a mile in another man's moccasins, you haven't the right to judge, because you don't have all the facts.

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#7 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

amen to MissPlaced i think if we make the information avaliable and find guidence for the youth they can make it to the top especially if they have a genuine desire to do so

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

:flowers:

Has anyone considered the Background of people like, Rubert Murdock, quite a Legend in America, Kerry Packer, also a Legend, Mel Gibson, no explaination needed?

Where they born Rich? Well educated? Find out via Google?

They were Humble Folk.

BTW. I walked many a Humble mile to get to where I got in Business, Mate, at one stage I was called "Whitey" That is as high as you can ever get in Business.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 07 February 2010 - 09:05 AM.

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Honestly, how can we do that to a Generation Y, that knows more than anyone else?

You tell us?

Ray.

Edited by Abacus 7, 07 February 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#10 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

These are all good discussion points. Abacus 7 asks how we can get through to Generation Y, inasmuch as these teens and earlier twenty somethings take the attitude that we are "old and things are different now". My own little Generation Y loves to sing this song and I step back and tell him how naive and self indoctrinated he is....along with his peers. Frankly, they all have too much and think it all came from heaven or something. In the same breath, he will tell me that I am
a "workaholic", which I suppose means that I have the temerity to actually exert myself!. When I explain how diligently I educated myself, taking as many difficult courses as I could, taking overloads every semester in college and taking two languages at one time......not to mention the higher mathematics I also studied....it goes in one ear and out the other. And this is a kid who is in college, with what I deem to be total lack of motivation.

It will only change when they enter the work force and have to pay their own bills. The light bulb will go off late and they will have to so back to school.

But this is a somewhat different problem than the subject of this discussion....a different level of lack of motivation, yet in a way it is the same: lack of motivation pure and simple, no matter what your economic status.

44 guy

#11 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

@ 44guy,

I don't know if this will bring you a measure of peace or not, it's my hope that it will...
How many times did we if not speak it right out or just think it,of our parents when we were in our teens, twenty's,
say "your old and thanges have changed!",, :thumbsup: ,This is the standard for every generation, it ain't nuthin new, Ooooo to them it is and in their minds eye we have the IQ of dust right now....BUT that's ok, time will bring the maturity that they need to understand that theres nuthin new under the sun,,,,we went thru it and now it's their turn,I personally never went to college, BUT i raised a son that did, and i had to laugh at him when he got his phone at college, he asked me "Mom who should I have the bill sent to?" I answered him, "Whu to yourself son, it's your phone" he loked like i had just punched him in the stomach, and was about to try and convience me that that was just wrong, then he took one look at my eyes and knew that arguement wasn't gonna fly.... :flowers: :trumpet:
I'm very happy to report that he graduated college went on to get his masters and is now a husband, father and I'm just so proud of the man that he's become!!
44guy, just be a lil patient and let time work it's magic, before you know it you'll look back at this and Laugh your head off and be ever so proud of the kid that you're raisin!!

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

I come from a school district where seeing the haves and have nots is an everyday event. Being poor doesn't help make you successful, but it is not an automatic rubber stamp to become a failure. We have students that come to our high school at 6 am to take a shower before school (The coach that opens up the gym is a saint.) They work to make themselves a success - personally, academically, and in sports. I have seen a football player whose mom was too drunk to come to the emergency room when he was hurt on the field - who knows where his dad is??? He preservered and overcame his "poorness" and now has a job and a life. He isn't rich, but he made it. I would define him as a success. There are many elementary kids who eat their only meals in our cafeterias and are on our honor rolls.

The inverse is also true. I have seen rich children become complete failures because they chose to be.

A child's upbringing builds their foundations in life. These kids are more influenced by the people in their lives instead of money. I assure you that a good parent, or teacher, or role model creates the more powerful influence. I won't say that every child that has this won't make bad decisions later in life, but their chances to succeed will be much higher.

So... there are many factors that impede success. Being poor is one, but it doesn't have to be.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#13 Guy0502

Guy0502

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:58 AM

America is the land of opportunity? Bullbleep. Tell that to the Hispanic people (who are 97% of the population) in Starr County, Texas, where 50% of the population are under the poverty line and the average household makes $16,504 a year. A YEAR!

In Buffalo County, South Dakota, the median household income is $12,692. In neighboring Hyde County, the median household makes $31,103. Can you guess what's special about about Buffalo County? Yep, that's right, there's an Indian Reservation there!

Let's stop looking at race. Income taxes in other nations are much more progressive. More tax is levied on the rich, and a larger percentage of expenditure is on things like schools, hospitals, health care, and other social welfare. You don't die because you can't afford health care in other countries. You receive a decent pay.

Sure, you CAN make it in life even if your parents were poor. But you would have a smaller chance to. And that shouldn't happen.
Specs:
Dell Inspiron 530s
Intel Core 2 4400 (2Ghz) (dual-core)
3GB RAM
Windows XP SP3
ATI RADEON 1300PRO

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

@ rayj0054 Thank you for your kind words.

@rigel,your right that coach is a saint!! and your right, it's not poverty that defines who you are as a person,it's who's influencing you and your life...poverty is a state of mind, a flip statement devoid of thought and understanding...no....I am the product of "Blue Collar" parent's,My Father worked like a dog all his life to provide for his wife and 5 children, by no strech of the imagination were we ever well off, but we were alway's rich in the thanges that truely matter and those you can't buy with money,this was and is his legacey to me and my 4 other siblings, i grew up wearin hand me downs, but i never once thought of myself as poor and to this day still don't, because of my Fathers influence i'm a very rich woman!!

@ Guy0502, I don't recall Race bein mentioned in this thread...BUT since you brought it up.....the pigmentation of a persons skin doesn't dictate their lot in life, you mentioned the wages in "Starr county Texas" i can trump that and i was born in this country,you also mentioned "buffalo county" and Hyde county" in South Dakota, funny you should mention that,because you see when my children(I have 2) and their father and i lived in "Meade county" South Dakota, our whole income for a year was $9000.00 (we no longer live in South Dakota) by the time we sent our son off to college we were doin a lil better financialy, and we were able yo do this because this IS the land of oportunity!! and if you want anythange in this life bad enough and are willin to put the work required into it, you Can be, have do just about anythange that you want to do!
Many different "Nationalities" come into this country for one simple reason, they want a better life for their children and themselves, somethange that we all have in common.....THe Texans that you mentioned wages would be what in their native mexico???? I would bet not near the the amount that you mentioned.....perhap's somethange for you to think about............It's what you do with what you have that matters, not how big your bank account is......
lifes not a cake walk no matter which side of the track's you come from.....It's NOT what people call you that matters, It's what you answer to that counts.....

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:26 AM

Altough this has gone a little off track. I think that some Background is needed for the Generation Y and others? Maybe it may help?

Illegal Immigrants? Maybe they can actually be a force in the Community, as this example shows? It is an old one, but just shows how determination and hardwork can work out for a poor person. BTW, it is a Personal Experience of just one Illegal Immigrant that actually is an example of how a Race can be actually honoured and admired in my Country, as they can do in your Country.

Back in 1980, I became Friends, (Mates) with a Chinese man, let's call him Eddie? during my Business activity. I learned that he had originally came to Australia while he was a BusBoy in Hong Kong, and upon arrival he had $AU10 in his pocket and no real Training, except for cooking. He went missing when his time to Visit was up and got Jobs in Kitchens at whatever people wanted to pay, working up to 20 hours a day and saving his Money. When the Government declared an Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants, he applied and was given Resident Status, then Citizenship.

Eddie is a Multi-Millionaire now, he certainly wasn't back then, there is more, but enough for now, because he just kept working 20 hours a day and used his Profits to buy up Real Estate. Now supports Heart and Lung Research in this Country

At the same time other's from his Culture did similar and are a very Respected part of our Community.

It really all comes back to the Individual?

Noone should ever give up, Mates.

BTW, sometimes all of us lose track of what our Targets in Life really are, so then become our own worst enemy. That is why most people fail.

Always set a Target and strive toward it, never let anyone or anything stand in your way, except the Law, of course.

A Whitey is known in Business as the Highest Level, it means White Pointer as in Sharks, (Great White) 99% of successfull Big Businesses are headed up by one of them. In Business a Whitey misses Nothing, just like the Great White Shark, just cruises along, until something attracts its interest, then it is a Lightning response, usually deadly in effect.

Seriously, more Poor Kids got to that stage than Rich Kids. It really is a Stage beyond Rich Kids, simply because they never ever knew about it. Their Dads, maybe Mums, may have done it, but not actully told them about how it works?

Our own Grinler is a Great example of a "Whitey", sits back and only comes in when needed? Then everyone listens?

Ray.

Edited by Abacus 7, 09 February 2010 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users