Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network adapter keeps "turning off"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

I posted several months ago about Internet explorer stopped working at odd times. I got no response. Being more specific, I have found that when this happens, frequently windows tells me the network adapter may need resetting. Clicking a provided button it is reset. It may work well for days, or it may quit again in 10 minutes. Does something need replacing? I don't know where the network adapter is, or what it does. This computer is "stock" like it came from factory.No repairs have been performed. About 3 years old. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Gateway5438 Dual channel, 2048MB DDR2
320 GB SATA II
Intel media accerator 950
Each core operates at 1.8 Ghz
memory card reader 15-in-1

Internet service provided by Bell South
westell modem
DSL

Vista home premium installed at factory
All microsoft updates and service packs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

hi,,,, i dont know if this counts for a desktop but worth a look,,,,, if your using a wireless connection then check in power options
click start orb>type in power options hit return>under the used power plan click change plan settings>click change advanced power settings>click wireless adapter settings>click power save mode and set to max performance.
see if this helps
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have wireless router. It is wired. Any additional thoughts? Thanks.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have wireless router. It is wired. Any additional thoughts? Thanks.

hi,,,, when it disconnects,,,, do you mean the web browser stops working,,,,, are the 2 little blue screens bottom right near the clock still there or does it have a red X through it ????
im wondering if your browser is corrupt or not working properly rather than your internet connection faulty.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hello Figgis41;
Thanks again for your reply. I found several outdated drivers for OS programs. I updated maybe 10, but there are several to go. Anyway, after updating the drivers and restarting, Internet explorer worked about 30 minutes, and stopped completely so that restarting wouldn't allow it to work at all. I ran the AT& T [isp] diagnostic tool, which found many things and gave me a phone number. A fellow in the Phillippines [at&t] worked with me 30 minutes. You were correct. The browser was corrupted. We had to reset several things in various programs. Someting had changed one of the numerical addresses. It's fixed, but for how long? I have a few programs set not to allow changing or hijacking the browser, but apparently they failed.
Thanks for your help.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:29 AM

hi,, i wondered if it was your browser,,, most people, when a browser connection fails start to look for the answer in the router or internet settings first and change things and forget how they were, which then makes a simple thing bigger,,,,
first thing i always do to check if its the connection or my software,,, ie or firefox,,, or my NIC or any other hardware,,,, do a ping test,,, i ping google and if it returns then you have a physical internet connection so it must be the browsers,,, if it times out then its the hardware,,,, ie,,, filters, routers, NIC,,, cables,,, and your isp,,,
my next step was to ask you to do a ping test :huh:
but no need,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hello Figgis41;
Thanks again for your reply. I found several outdated drivers for OS programs. I updated maybe 10, but there are several to go. Anyway, after updating the drivers and restarting, Internet explorer worked about 30 minutes, and stopped completely so that restarting wouldn't allow it to work at all. I ran the AT& T [isp] diagnostic tool, which found many things and gave me a phone number. A fellow in the Phillippines [at&t] worked with me 30 minutes. You were correct. The browser was corrupted. We had to reset several things in various programs. Someting had changed one of the numerical addresses. It's fixed, but for how long? I have a few programs set not to allow changing or hijacking the browser, but apparently they failed.
Thanks for your help.

I spoke too soon figgis41:

It worked for maybe an hour and then quit. I Had to call AT&T repair again. We went through the ping test and had to do an IP config., and reset the modem. I'm starting to think it's more than one problem. It only worked about 30 minutes after the tech guy helped me fix it. I went to sleep, got up this morning and was getting no internet light on the modem. I reset the modem, and it started working.I'm using that restart now to write this. It may quit at any second, so I'd better post. Could the modem be "worn out"? It's 4 or 5 years old. It gets warm, but not hot . Anyway I'm not fixed yet. Thanks.

#8 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

To help anyone that has read this post from the beginning I need to add more info. AT&T sent a new modem three days ago. The old one was the Westell model E90-610030-06. New one is Motorola 2210-02-1006. The new modem seems to work as it should. The Westell was testing "good" when it was not completely good. The correct lights lit up,and the online test performed by the ISP folks indicated it was OK. The new modem doesn't drop connections, like the previous one. Yea!
But the internet adapter still needs resetting every 30 minutes,or so. So that is still part of the problem. For what it's worth information-wise, the adapter is the Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection. It has the most recent driver. The Intel site states it has dropped support for that model other than the last driver update. Good news is that Intel states the adapter has a lifetime warranty, and will be replaced free. I have to open the computer and find the adapter, and provide the serial number, plus other info. I guess I have to send the bad one as a trade, which means no computer for awhile.
Perhaps someone smarter than me knows if one of these components ;the internet adapter and modem, could have caused the other to go bad, or if it's a fluke that it happened together.
Thanks for your help figgis41

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users