Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Utilization Frequent Spikes to 100%

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blackhawk519

Blackhawk519

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Have an issue with my PC frequently spiking to 100%. When that occurs when I'm trying to do other programs like yahoo email I have trouble doing simple things like cutting and pasting text. If I'm listening to music it eventually begins to stutter or cut out. I've gone thru upgrading all the hardware drivers I can think of on the sytem, XP SP3 updates are current, updated to latest Directx, .net and java also to the latest versions.That harddrive is set to use DMA. Updated IE to ver 8, defragged harddrive and Mcafee virus detection has not detected any virus and current at version 13.15 Dat 5780 10/23/2009. My system is Microsoft XP Pro SP3, AMD 64 3200+ 2.01 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, Reon 9800XT 256 MB Ram,Creative Audioy2, Seagate Barricuda 250 GB, Free space 203GB

I read thru couple other posts so have downloaded combofix and ran that creating a log file. Hopefully someone will have some additional suggestions.

Edited by Blackhawk519, 27 October 2009 - 10:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

What process is using all the CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Blackhawk519

Blackhawk519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thats the problem when I look in the task manager under prcessess I'm not seeing the CPU being hit and it pretty much affects any program that I'm trying to work with at the time. The spikes are fast and frequent but then eventually pegs for 5-20 secs at 100 % and then returns back to spikes again. I just uploaded a creen pirnt of the performance montior.

Attached Files

Edited by Blackhawk519, 27 October 2009 - 10:23 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:24 PM

Open the Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. Then click where it says "CPU". This will sort all the processes by CPU usage. Maybe then you can identify one that is using all the CPU.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Blackhawk519

Blackhawk519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

Keeps briefly spiking in the numbers. The system idel process is going back and forth from 50% to 99%. services.exe and schost.exe appear frequently in the range of 41% or soand then every once in awhile because I have IE and Winamp open I'll see brief entries in their but usually no more than 20 %....but winamp is supposed to really not take much processor bandwidth at all from what I was reading online which is why I choose the program. There's no single process hanging up there with a large value. Just by rapidily moving my mouse around I can keep it up above 75% utilitzation and higher for the most part. I reloaded both the mouse and keyboard drivers as well.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Try using Process Explorer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

It will enable you to see what process is running underneath services.exe and svchost.exe.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users