Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lsass - Application Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CruelSun

CruelSun

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hi All,

Sorry, but this will get a bit long-winded.

Background: I have an XP box that has been reliable for years, no Virii, etc.. I do my updates and scans religiously. However, I am building myself a new workstation, and have had to do a shuffle of MB/Proc/RAM/HDD/PowerSupply Etc.. from one case to another, so I can build the new PC in My 'good case', and have my existing PC running in a spare case until I work the bugs out of the new Win7 box. Problems arose when I tried to boot the existing PC in it's new home... PC would not boot with any peripherals attached. Eventually I swapped the Power Supply out for a good spare, and I am now able to boot with the Drives/fans/soundcard etc attached.

Now that it boots, I am getting several errors. The first pops up at the welcome screen, or as soon as I get to desktop if I was fast with the password:

lsass - Application Error
The instruction at "0x76d62e00" referenced memory at "0x00000100". The memory could not be "written".

I have been Googling this, but all I find is software/malware problems. I did remove one peripheral (a video capture device), and may have the sound, and ethernet cards in different slots than they were in the last time it booted in it's old home...

Not sure if the instruction and memory references change from boot to boot, but I'll report back. Edit: I rebooted again and got same references.

Edited by CruelSun, 27 October 2009 - 08:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CruelSun

CruelSun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

I was wrong above (lost track of the 2am troubleshooting...), I never was able to put the soundcard back in, because whenever it is in, the machine BSODs a short time into booting.

Could the lack of a sound card cause a problem with like this??, or maybe the Creative Labs Soundblaster software?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users