Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presario V6000 won't start, huge mess

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Damo1234

Damo1234

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm having laptop problems that may be beyond what can be helped, but it's worth a try. Here's the series of events:

1. Laptop was running a little sluggish, but not especially so. I decided to restart in safe mode and clean up some things (I had too many firefox tabs open, to be honest)

2. When I tried to restart in safe mode it would freeze up trying to load giveio.sys. I investigated and found it was associated with speedfan, a program I never use any more. Normal mode still worked. So I uninstalled giveio and speedfan.

3. I tried restarting and was told the computer could not find C:\windows\system32\config\system, and I needed to do a repair. Neither safe mode nor regular mode worked, now.

4. I attempted to do a repair with my windows CD, but...

A. If I attempt to go into the recovery console it seems to be loading okay, but once it finishes loading I get the message
_____
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP 0XOOOOOO7B (0XF7A89524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
_____

:thumbsup: If I attempt to boot from disk, everything starts out all right, but then I'm informed that it's not detecting a hard drive. I went into BIOS and checked my hard drive. Sure enough, a little over halfway through the Hard Drive comprehensive test I got "#2 - 07 Fail"

From my own digging it sounds like it MIGHT be able to fix this by doing chkdsk through DOS but I have no idea how to get into DOS without starting windows. I've also heard about programs like HDD Regenerator, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

You could try wiping the hard drive with this:

http://www.dban.org/

And then see if Windows will install.

However, if your hard drive failed the diagnostic test then it's probably toast.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

You could try wiping the hard drive with this:

http://www.dban.org/

And then see if Windows will install.

However, if your hard drive failed the diagnostic test then it's probably toast.

Is there any way to get into DOS without starting Windows? I'm curious to try the chkdsk solution I read about.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:30 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

When I hit "R" I get the message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

However, when I run the manufacturer diagnostic program "Hitachi Drive Fitness Test" off a CD, it not only detects the hard drive, it gives the hard drive a "disposition test" rating of "0x00", which apparently means the hard drive itself is fine.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

<<...a little over halfway through the Hard Drive comprehensive test I got "#2 - 07 Fail">>

<<However, when I run the manufacturer diagnostic program "Hitachi Drive Fitness Test" off a CD, it not only detects the hard drive, it gives the hard drive a "disposition test" rating of "0x00", which apparently means the hard drive itself is fine>>

What test are you talking about in the first quote?

You ran the long/extended DFT version?

<<I attempted to do a repair with my windows CD, but...>>

Is that the CD Compaq provided as a restore/recovery CD...or is it a Microsoft Genuine XP CD that you purchased as a separate item? From what I see, the DV6000 comes with recovery/restore CDs...which are not the same as a MS XP install CD in how such can be used.

FWIW: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...953&lang=en

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users