Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes on start up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kipz

kipz

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hello,

I hope that someone can help with my problem. I'm not sure that I am posting in the correct section, apologies if not.

I have had this problem for 18 months and am just living with it. Every time I start up my comp it gets to the XP windows page and then freezes, I have to restart it 3 or 4 times before it will load properly. I try not to restart it and leave it on most of the time to avoid the problem but obviously I have to shut it down sometimes to load updates.

I would like to find out why this is happening on start up and hope someone can tell me where to start looking. As you can probably tell I am not very computer literate but I am able to follow simple instructions. :thumbsup:

You have helped me with a couple of virus problems I have had before for whch I am very grateful. I think you are all brilliant.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me again.

Ruth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Do you mean it gets to the screen where it shows the Windows logo with the blue scroll bar below it, or does it get to the Welcome to Windows screen, and then freezes?

Does it ever get past that point if you leave it for a few minutes?

#3 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Hello Stang,

It actually gets to my desktop page and starts to load my avira and all other programs and then freezes after it appears to have loaded everything.

Ruth

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Does it freeze when you start it in Safe Mode?

#5 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

I have hardly ever had to start in safe mode, I don't think it froze the last time I did. I can try it now if it will help?

Ruth

#6 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:29 PM

I have just tried starting in safe mode and it didn't freeze.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

There are certain things that load in regular windows that do not load in safe mode. Since it does not freeze in safe mode, it seems to me that whatever is causing your system to freeze is one of those things that does not load in safe mode.

Often times it is an antivirus program causing the problem, as many of them do not load in safe mode, but also network drivers do not load there either. There are other things that do not load in safe mode but I do not know what they are. I am dealing with a similar issue myself (my system stalls after the Windows logo, but does not when booting into safe mode) that I have not been able to resolve and I do not know what is causing your issue. But finding out that it seems to be something that does not load in safe mode might help you, or someone else, figure it out.

Hopefully someone else will jump in this topic and be able to help you out, good luck.

Edited by Stang777, 27 October 2009 - 08:04 PM.

#8 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for your help so far Stang, what you are saying makes logical sense.

Just hope that someone might pick up on this and give us both a solution.

Worried that because I have already seven replies, folks will think I am being sorted out, not sure how to highlight this as an ongoing problem?

Ruth x

Edited by kipz, 28 October 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

I would do two things:

a. Search you C: partition for any files ending in .dmp.

b. Check Event Viewer for errors that might relate to what you experience.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Since it freezes after drivers are loaded and not in safe mode...it's fair to assume (at this point) that it's a driver problem.

Is SP3 installed?

Can you run the chkdsk /r command? Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

The command will run before booting into XP automatically.

Louis

#10 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hello Louis, thanks for your help.

I have searched on 'C' and cannot find any files ending in .dmp.

I have checked event viewer and it is showing warnings under Application for Microsoft Fax and Usernv.

There is nothing showing in Security.

Under System I have errors showing for Service control manager, lots of them.

I have tried restarting several times in the last hour or two and it is not freezing. I am thinking that it could be something to do with my Avira that is scheduled to run every day at noon, it takes about 1 and a half hours to run. My comp seems to load OK in the evenings but freezes when starting up in the morning.

If I look in my add/remove programmes I can see: Windows service pack 3, Microsoft.net framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1.

I ran the chkdsk /r and rebooted the system, I didn't notice any programme running and my system restarted with no freezing.

Hope all that helps a bit.

Thanks,

Ruth

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

I would double-click on the last 3 errors noted in Event Viewer for Server Control Manager...and post the detail of same. Key items to post are Event ID, Source, User, and Description.

Louis

#12 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

I can't seem to find a way of copying and pasting the result, but will try to type it here. I don't have a heading for Description.

Type............... Source ............ User ................. Event

Error Service control manager N/A 7026, 7023, 7000,7009

Error DCOM System 10005 (lots of the same)

Error DCOM Ruth 10005 (more of the same)

Error Service control manager N/A 7001 (lots of the same)

Thanks, Ruth

Edited by kipz, 28 October 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

Uhhh...I need the detail of the Service Control Manager entries. Did you double-click on each line item in Event Viewer?

Louis

#14 kipz

kipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

Sorry Louis, you are right, I didn't double click.

I still can't find an easy way of posting the results...this is my attempt:

10/29/2009 Source: Service Control Manager, Event 7026, The following boot-start or system start drivers failed to load: nvatabus / nvraid

Event 7023, The IPSEC service terminated with the following error: the attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced.

Event 7000, The Lxdn CATS CustConnectService service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Is this any help? Thanks for sticking with me!!

Edited by kipz, 29 October 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

Event 7026, Service Control Manager: Points to a problem loading the nvatabus drivers. This has probably been what you have been tolerating for so long.

I would go to the website of the system manufacturer...and download/install the latest chipset drivers.

I have no idea what Lxdn CATS CustConnectService service refers to, but let's hope it's benign.

The 7023, IPSEC error...could be many things...ignore for the moment.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users