Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system wont post..monitor is good but wont turn on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

i posted here because i think this may have something to do with something internal
Friend asked me to look at a system that was gummed up with malware, he brought me just the tower.
When i first tried to boot the system with my monitor mouse and keyboard, the monitor worked, so did the mouse, but the keyboard(PS2) wasn't recognized.

he brought me his USB keyboard and mouse , this time when i rebooted the monitor would come on. ( this is onboard VGA)
I took the HHD out of his system and installed it in mine, boots fine, i was able to clear the malware. No issues.
Put it back in his system...power up..no beeps everything seems to run fine, except no monitor.
So i put in and old 9800 pro AGP card and tried that.
Nothing.
Any ideas what could be happening?
The board is and ASUS P4R800-VM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

first thing that comes to mind is bad motherboard. Have you tried running all his equipment but his mobo in another system or is that feasible?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:49 AM

haven't tried that, really not feasible, i don't want to waste to much time on this, i may just find a cheap board to switch out with and see what happens.
Just thought there may be something else i could do...a hard reset of some sort

#4 Ray_

Ray_

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

Do you get no monitor activity at all times? Does the monitor work when booting into the BIOS?

First check I would do is on the power supply, especially the American/European electricity switch on the back. This is very most likely the issue if your computer is powering on, but not booting or running POST, as you said in the title.

Another quick solution you could give a go would be to reset the CMOS on the motherboard, unplug the power lead to the hard drives, then try to boot them system into the BIOS screen. Verify all cable connections, check that the monitor is turned on, etc, and if is continues to not function then you have confirmed that you are having a problem with the motherboard.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:02 AM

you could try that but in my experience, if the switch in the back of the PSU (If it has one not all do) is in the wrong spot the computer will not boot at all. I dont see how resetting the CMOS will fix it, but its easy and fairly simple to do and definetly could not hurt to try.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

Just had a similar problem on a machine. The PS2 keyboard port was bad. Probably from being unplugged\plugged in with the machine on. It would not post with the USB keyboard plugged in. But with the USB keyboard unplugged, the machine would turn on, post and boot into Windows. The USB keyboard could then be plugged in and all worked normally.

Come to find out, the owner had had this problem almost since the first day. Some BIOS have settings to work around this. In my case I could not find any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users