Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP won't play certain mp3s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jclfc

jclfc

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hi,

I have encountered a strange problem with WMP 11.

I have tried to play a couple of albums in my Music folder, but I get the error message - "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

When I click web help, the error code is: C00D11D2.

Interestingly, when I go into the folders of the mp3s in question, the file names are in red. When they are in WMP, a little red box with a cross in appears next to the song title when you try to play.

This does not happen to all of my mp3s for some reason.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

hi,,,, wmp looks in your music folder for the music,,,, if its not there or been moved then it cannot play it hence the red x,,,, open wmp and click on the little drop down under library and click more options click the library tab at the top of window then click monitor folders tab put a check mark in ,,, my personal folders and also add files previously deleted from library then click ok and it will do a search for missing music files and other music files in the pc,,,,,, if the files have been completely deleted from the pc, then it cannot put them back into wmp,,,,,
hope this helps
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Chanteress

Chanteress

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

I never use WMP as its very restricted, get the free version of Winamp, make a folder for it and put all your music in it, then when set up correctly you will be able to play everything except 'The Bagpipes' :huh:

#4 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for your responses, but even when I open the actual folder that contains the MP3s, the files are in red and trying to play them in other software won't work at all.

I've tried searching, but can't find this problem anywhere.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

seems that the mp3 files are corrupt in that case,,,, just check they are mp3 format,,, right click and select properties of one of the files then look where it says "type of file",,,, if it says mp3 and you have used a few players to open and play and its a no go then these files could have been corrupt,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users