Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help to enable SoundMAX driver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lestatpdh

lestatpdh

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

I'm working with someone else in "Am I infected? What do I do?" to resolve a Vundo infection, but now I have trouble with my sound driver(s). I was using AutoRuns yesterday to stop Windows from trying to load a virus that had already been deleted. Soon thereafter I tried to adjust the sound volume through Volume Control and it said, "There are no mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." (I also cannot play any sounds: from files, Internet, or CDs.) I tried to uninstall SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio through Device Manager and then reinstall it, but that didn't work. The driver is there, but it just isn't loading. I tried updating the driver, but Device Manager says there's no version more current than what I have. I'm reluctant to roll back or download a whole new driver file (smwdm.sys according to AutoRuns) because I'm not confident dealing with drivers. I've tried to find what I may have inadvertently disabled through AutoRuns, but smwdm.sys seems to be the only candidate, and that has a check mark beside it. Of course, I have no more luck using msconfig.

As far as I can tell, I simply disabled the driver, so I need to enable it to load when Windows boots up. I also assume that my codecs and other sound controllers that are currently disabled will come back if I restore this one driver(?). It's possible that the malware could have caused this problem, but that seems unlikely because it only happened after I messed around in AutoRuns. That's why I came here. If anyone out there can help, I will be forever grateful!

Specs:
Dell Dimension 4600
Windows XP, SP 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Download a new driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=122481
From here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lestatpdh

lestatpdh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had found that site but wasn't sure I should download it because I didn't recognize the name of the driver. Anyway, I downloaded and installed the new driver but I still get the same error message. Add Hardware still tells me that the driver is there but it has been disabled. How do I enable the driver? Is this related to the virus or viruses I'm still trying to remove?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users