Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 3.x Migration message on bootup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Klugeless

Klugeless

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have a 64 bit workstation (Dell Precision T3400, Intel CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM) with windows XP Pro 32 bit (Version 2002, Service Pack 3) on one partition (partition D) and XP Pro 64 bit on the other partition (partition C). I almost always use the 32 bit OS - haven't used the 64 bit in months.

A couple of weeks ago this started happening: Every few days when booting up a popup appears before getting to the desktop screen. This is what it says (as best I can remember):

Windows 3.x Migration

You have installed Windows NT into an existing Windows 3.x directory.
You have the option of migrating portions of your windows 3.x environment into windows NT.
Please select below the parts you wish to migrate into the windows environment.

[check box] Migrate Windows 3.x WIN.INI and CONTROL.INI
[check box] Migrate Windows 3.x Program manager Group Files

[OK] [Cancel]

This message always comes up with the first checkbox checked. So far I've always just clicked "Cancel".

As far as I know I haven't installed any operating systems for many moons, so I don't know why I should be seeing this now.

My questions are:

1. Why am I getting this message, and should I be getting it?

2. Why would I want to migrate anything. Should I?

3. If not, how can I get this message to stop appearing?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klugeless

Klugeless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

:thumbsup: None of you guys can explain this to me?! :flowers:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

Has this computer ever had Windows 3.1 on it or have you tried to run an old program?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768131.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102224
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users