Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PAKevin

PAKevin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

Greetings,

I stumbled here from a search for answers about Registry Mechanic issues. On a separate browser window I've got a message prepared with DDS.txt and Attach.txt already attached. When RootRepeal finishes - it's been running for over two hours...how long does this take? - I'll upload and attache that file. In the mean time let me introduce myself and my laptop. I'm a 50s something engineering (mechanical and software) with a two year old HP Pavilion running Vista. The machine has run pretty much trouble-free. But a couple of months ago, during a routine McAfee antivirus scan the machine was diagnosed and treated for a trojan infection. Three or four days ago the same same routine scan identified an Artemis trojan. My ISP is Comcast. I have one desktop Dell and this HP laptop connected wirelessly to the Internet through a Linsys router. Bot PCs run the McAfee Security Suite. And I run Registry Mechanic routinely with the expectation that doing so will help keep the two systems running smoothly. But this last infection has got me worried. So I searched and then found this site.

Lastly, a few questions: How long has this site been in operation? Who are the experts who review uploaded system files? And how is a person like me to know whether or not to trust?

Thanks.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.

Who are the experts who review uploaded system files? And how is a person like me to know whether or not to trust?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

How long has this site been in operation?

January 2004
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 The Dirty Haitian

The Dirty Haitian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

HI! I am new to this forum and came here for help with getting my hijack this log read and resolved properly as well as getting my PC optimized in general. I'm an intermediate level user by my own classification. lol Probably a novice compared to many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users