Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I want to try to build a new computer?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

I think that my computer bit the dust last night. I am not sure, but, it started making this funky, repetitive sound from it when it started to try to boot, it never got back from the intial INTEL screen. It'll make the sound, and then, go to a black screen. I think I hit the setup button, and now, it is looking for a CD or DVD to boot from.

Anyway, if it has truly died, I need another desktop. I thought of trying to build one, but, I have never done anything along those lines. Let me spell out what I do on the computer, and you can make recommendations, if you don't mind:

I watch videos on Youtube/Download podcasts on Itunes.
I do some Website configuration.
I really don't do much DVD/CD stuff.
I use Outlook a lot.
I write a lot.

I'd like to have speed, so I can process websites quickly. I keep thinking I may get into playing Star Trek online when it comes out next year.

I think that having multiple USB ports and a memory card reader spot would be great.

Any suggestions? Would I be better off buildling or buying?

Thanks.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

IMO...you don't do anything that mandates building one (gaming).

If you want to/intend to maintain your system...building is the way to go, IMO. If you could care less when things go wrong and you pay somone to take care of whatever was wrong...I see no incentive to build.

IMO, building a system primarily depends on user interest in having some understanding of what others consider a typical "magical" process that they are incapable of understanding.

Once you build a system, it ceases to be a "black box" and becomes a part of individual creativity and self-expression, even with monetary considerations playing a large role in how this creativity is finally expressed.

You may be interested in one or more, since you are a youtube frequenter: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=.

Louis

#3 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

How much would you be willing to spend on a new computer? If you want to get a new one, building a computer is a very easy task, trust me.

Also, it sounds like the Hard Drive in your current computer has died, all you really need to do(if the Hard Drive is the problem) is get a new one and you should be able to get it back up and running again.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#4 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

that's what I'd like to do. I love my comptuer the way it is. I just don't know what to do or how to do it.

IN a picture perfect world, if my hard drive has went out, I could just put a new hard drive in there, and get my old stuff off of it. Can I do that? If so, how? I have a lot of irreplaceable documents that I'd LIKE to get.

Jeremy

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

You can run a diagnostic on the hard drive, to test its functionality.

Take a look at the label...go to the respective website of the HD manufacturer...and download the appropriate diagnostic tool.

It doesn't matter if the system boots or not...as long as you can boot the optical drive, the diagnostic can be run.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

As for tranferring files...data files can be transferred, programs cannot (require reinstallation). The easiest way (IMO) is to remove the hard drive...connect it as a secondary drive on a known good system that is well-protected...and just move the data files to another partition/drive on that system.

Louis

#6 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

You can run a diagnostic on the hard drive, to test its functionality.

Take a look at the label...go to the respective website of the HD manufacturer...and download the appropriate diagnostic tool.

It doesn't matter if the system boots or not...as long as you can boot the optical drive, the diagnostic can be run.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

As for tranferring files...data files can be transferred, programs cannot (require reinstallation). The easiest way (IMO) is to remove the hard drive...connect it as a secondary drive on a known good system that is well-protected...and just move the data files to another partition/drive on that system.

Louis

How do I know if it booting the optical drive?

#7 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

If it loads what's on the CD it's booting from the optical drive(your DVD Rom). You might have to set a boot priority so it boots from the DVD drive, but from the looks of your OP it wants to do that already.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#8 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

I think I figured that one out. Let me ask this question. Say I get a 2nd hard drive. How can I get Windows booted on it/ Do I have to purchase a copy of XP?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

You don't have a legal copy of XP now?

You have no CD for reinstalling such?

Louis

#10 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

You don't have a legal copy of XP now?

You have no CD for reinstalling such?

Louis

I bought the computer used. It had no CDs with it.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#12 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

HP 1270N

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ct=443756#N1213

Scroll down to Using the HP Recovery Process to Restore...

Louis

To answer your question, yes...if you buy another computer, you will also need to procure a valid license for whatever O/S you install (if you install Windows). Or you can buy a system that includes an O/S, as most do.

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2009 - 06:46 PM.

#14 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ct=443756#N1213

Scroll down to Using the HP Recovery Process to Restore...

Louis

To answer your question, yes...if you buy another computer, you will also need to procure a valid license for whatever O/S you install (if you install Windows). Or you can buy a system that includes an O/S, as most do.

Louis

I brought the computer up, and went into BIOS, and I don't think it's even recognizing the hard drive. You refered to the process to restore. Do you think that we can salvage this hard drive at all?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

I believe that the prudent thing to do...would be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...before assuming that anything needs to be salvaged.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users