Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP nasty virus problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mort Green

Mort Green

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hello.

I am new here and hoping there is someone who can help me!

I have picked up a nasty virus, from when I updated my Tom Tom I think?
I have had a load in the past and always managed to fix the problem... not this time however.

In short, I have no desk top icons, no start bar, no anything. When I go onto the internet through the control panel and ask explorer to "run" I can browse the web, but only by typing in the web page. Google searches only occasionally work and if I click a link to go anywhere it diverts to a site trying to sell me something or somewhere wanting me to download some (fake i assume) antivirus.

I have AVG but it is stopping me from running it?
I did have AVG 8 and that found a load of problems.. However when I tried to remove them it said "these cannot be deleted".
I then upgraded to AVG 9 and I cant get that to run at all??

I have downloaded other antivirus software but when I open it I cant run it. It says it cant connect to the virus bank or a similar error message.

I have tried a couple of system restores and they dont work either...

The last bad virus I had I ended up using some software than used a command prompt screen and reset the date and everything. Went very deep I think??

As you may tell from the above I am not overly technical, but know a little bit.
If there is anyone who thinks they can help I would be super pleased. Its the families only computer and I am under pressure to get it fixed!!

Cheers in advance.

Matt

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:35 PM

Run this file:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

The see if you can get an antivirus scan to run.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Mort Green

Mort Green
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hello.

Cheers for the help - but I am not sure i get it??

I have clicked the link and run the file....
I get a comand prompt box that says "no tasks running within the specified critear"

Then it says "the operation completed successfully" 4 times and then closes?

Has that actually done anything?

Sorry, I am not as techey as most..

Matt

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

After you ran rkill did you try scanning with AVG or any other scanner?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users