Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-Mail Spam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

Howdy,

For the last month or so I have been getting 15 to 20 spam e-mails a day. I never open the links but I do click on the e-mails in order to delete them. From what I have read, the fact that I click on them tells the spammer that they are getting through to my computer. I don't know how to delete them any other way. ??

I use Outlook Express. I don't see any type of option in Outlook to block these E-mails. Maybe I am missing something. ???
I download Microsoft updates routinely and once in a while I will see a "junk mail" update. Is that suppose to be blocking these sort of things ?

Do I need a third party program to put a stop to them ?

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Dennis :thumbsup:

XP Home, SP-3, IE-8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

First of all, are you using preview pane in Outlook Express?
If you are disable preview pane.
Instructions are here: http://cybercoyote.org/security/prevpane.htm
This will also tell why it's not a good idea to use preview pane.
Disabling preview pane will allow you to delete a mail without opening it.

Second, you can set up rules for mail in OE.
Open OE, then Tools/Message Rules/then Mail.
Create a new rule. You can have the mail sent to a folder when it downloads from the mail server or
Delete from the server which will send it into cyberspace, never to be seen again.

OR you could highlight the message without opening it, click on Block Sender or Create rule for Message (which brings up the same box as above).

This will not prevent all spam. Many times you'll get the same spam mail from different senders and different domains.
To better the chances against it, you will need to set up your rules to filter by subject line and message body.
As soon as you choose as option, a clickable link will show up in box 3-click that box and add specific words.
Make sure to save the rule by clicking OK to everything.
Hopefully this will cut down the amount of spam you receive.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will get right on it !

Thanks Again,

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

If you want to use a third party option I can suggest MailWasher. I have used the pro version for years and am very pleased with the results.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

Thanks animal, I will take a look at it now and see if I can figure out how to use it.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,553 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Let me know if you need assistance and I'll do my best.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

Thanks. I looked it over and I am going to download the free version.

If I get in a bind I will post back.

Thanks Again,

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,553 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

I should have been more clear I was suggesting the free version. Thanks for making that distinction. :thumbsup:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Labhrainn Aemilianu

Labhrainn Aemilianu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:30 AM

More than likely someone you know that has your email in their address book is infected with either a virus, worm, or adware, malware and spyware. What happens then is the malicious program scans the address book and forges the from field so it looks like it came from someone other than the person who is infected. You or someone with adequate knowledge of SMTP need to look at the mail headers to find the originating IP so you can report it to their ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users