Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot Problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 munish1000

munish1000

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

My laptop was working, but suddenly stopped working. I turned off the laptop and turned it on, but it has started giving message

“Reboot and Select proper Boot device Or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”

I have checked Boot Device Priority, it was showing 1st Boot Device to Network, which I have changed to Hard Drive, but still same message. When I switch on, it makes continue weird noise.

I have allot of work and software on this laptop and do not want to loose it using recovery dvd.

I copied ISO file, when I ran that file on the computer, I received following message:

“A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps;
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
*** pci-sys – Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c”

Please advice me how to rectify this error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

Sometimes...when the CMOS battery starts to fail..it will produce all sorts of strange effects, starting with the clock and various STOP errors, but I've also seen such change my CMOS/BIOS settings.

I would try replacing the CMOS battery, CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp.

Louis

#3 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thank you. Link above opens computer. I have ASUS laptop. Do you have a link for that. Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

You'd have to check the Asus website, looking for the manual for your particular model of laptop.

http://support.asus.com/search/search.aspx...SLanguage=en-us

Louis

#5 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hi Louis

I have checked the mannual, but no information regarding changing CMOS battery. Even ASUS's site search does not bring any results. :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

What's the model laptop?

Louis

#7 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

X53SR

#8 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

I have just tried recovery disc, but it is giving a big Error message in red!! Has harddrive gone

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

What is the error message?

Louis

#10 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

on full grey screen a big ERROR in red, and on the left top corner small cannot set temp path to work in.

I could not find cmos battery refernce anywhere on their website!! :thumbsup:

Edited by munish1000, 28 October 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

Yes, I had no luck on their site either.

Another "builder" who has no intention of letting the service be deprived of work :thumbsup:.

Not a lot on that error, some guessing that indicates it may be a hard drive problem.

I suppose I would try a hard drive diagnostic, from the appropriate hard drive manufacturer. Long/extended test, if short and long are offered.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/.

Louis

#12 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Louis

I have tried Seagate seatools cd for diagnostic, but it stops in the middle. I believe I have to change hard drive. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

Easily done, let us know how it goes :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 munish1000

munish1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:37 AM

I used another laptop using this hard drive, it did not work. Which confirmed hard drive is faulty. Now another question will any SATA 2.5" hard drive will fit in my laptop or I have to buy same model which I had previously!! Thanks

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

No vendor/manufacturer preferences :thumbsup:. My goal is to always get the best value for my money at the time.

Of course, you will need to be able to install Windows anew.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users