Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mobile broadband

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arkle

arkle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hi All,

I want to install a Huawei E1550 usb modem on my Dell Studio 17 laptop.

Problem; every time I try to install it the installation stops with the message, WILOG_FILE_DESCRIPTION has stopped working.

I rang 3 the network that supplies or made this modem, and asked them for guidance and they have no idea!!!!.

To make the whole picture clearer I should explain that this laptop is only a few weeks old, and I have been using it wirelessly in the house in which we have Virgin Media broadband.

I then went away for a week and on my return I could not connect to the internet so I rang Virgin and they could not find the problem.

I then tried connecting direct (wired) and it works fine, but cannot connect wirelessly.

The reason I got a dongle was because the wires are all upstairs and I want to work downstairs, so I thought a dongle would be a temporary solution, until we can get Virgin to fix the other problem.

There is another Dell computer in the house on which a similar dongle has been installed and working, no problem at all.

Has anyone any idea at all how this might be fixed, Either the dongle needs to be installed, or the wireless connection on Virgin media.

Thank you,

paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

If you can connect to the Virgin modem/router wired and it works its not on their end but yours. The fastest solution I have found is get the latest drivers/software for your wireless card, uninstall the wireless card from device manager and Add/Remove programs(or whatever it's called in Vista), reboot and install the drivers/software. You can fiddle with it for an hour or take 5 mins and do that and you'll know all the settings and whatnot are clean.

I have read a number of posts on other sites about that usb modem and Vista having the exact same issue. If what I said to try above doesn't get your normal wireless back up, I would try installing that usb modem in safe mode. I didn't read that anyone tried that and it didn't work. But if the maker of the device has no clue I'd say get another brand.

The other desktop, does it have Vista installed on it? You said similar dongle not the exact same? Does it connect to the Virgin modem/router wired? wireless? through the dongle? If that dongle will do what you want and the other desktop is not using it, try installing that on your laptop.

I have also read that the software is different depending on what country you are in. I would call them again and see if they can give you a site to get the latest driver/software for it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 arkle

arkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi Cavedweller,

Thank you for your response, and I am sorry to be so long replying but had to go away for a couple of days.

The laptop in question is my sons and he has taken off with it for a couple of weeks, so sorry if I have wasted your time, but I will have to come back here when he returns.

Sorry about that.

paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users