Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading the main hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 InsanityOnABun

InsanityOnABun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:35 AM

Hey everyone. So, my cousin bought a netbook back when they first hit the market, and as such it only has a 10 GB hard drive in it. Well, she's been wanting to get an external hard drive and an external DVD drive to augment the netbook, and she's been asking me for advice. It just occurred to me, however, that we could just upgrade the internal drive. What I'm cautious about is just how we would transfer the OS and all her files and programs to the new drive. Could we just clone the drive onto an external drive and then clone the clone onto the new drive, or is there more to it then that?
As the veil of lunacy descends...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Acronis True Image now supports USB drives as well as Symantec Ghost.

Using either of those, you can create an "image" and save it to an external drive. Then, swap the drive inside the notebook and move the image from the external drive to the new boot drive.

There are free ones as well, such as Macrium. I have used that with success as well. Just don't overwrite the original drive until you are sure the new drive is functioning properly.

I hope this helps.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users