Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Ghost 12: Backup 6GB but used space is 11GB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:47 AM

I'm only new to Norton Ghost 12 (i know the new version is 14 but I'm happy with 12.

Used space on C:\ is 11GB according to Local Disk properties, when I used Norton Ghost to backup C:\ its backup file is only 6GB did it (or I) do it correctly.

I need some help and guidance in making (system restore) recovery Disk/s either CD or DVD, there are programs like Microsoft Office that is preinstalled and I don't want to lose that . Also to help in having to reinstall drivers and updates etc I can just use the recovery disk to restore the system and use it straight away like the recovery disks you used to get from Acer.

I went into "Create Custom Recovery Disk" it then asks you for Symantec Recovery Location" No matter what I try it just tells me "Invalid Symantec Recovery Disk Location. Please specify a valid path to a Symantec Recovery Disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

NORTON GHOST 2003 is the version I'M USING, I thought it was the other. My CD/DVD thingie isn't support for NG so I have to do it within Windows somehow.

What I need to know is if anyone know how I burn the image file on a CD or even better a DVD so I can restore the PC if incase the hard drive fails and I need to reinstall the computer? Like a Recovery Disk like you used to get with manufactured PCs for example Acer, HP, Dell etc.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

just make a floppy disk with norton ghost on it(through the Norton disk on windows programs list)
restart and then go to partition and select dvd/cd rom drive
put a dvd/cd in the drive and then (optional) select compression:fast as high does not do much differences

quote:Used space on C:\ is 11GB according to Local Disk properties, when I used Norton Ghost to backup C:\ its backup file is only 6GB did it (or I) do it correctly.

it may be that its compressing the ghost image(fast) file or that windows has some wrong info about your disk
to fix its errors go to start>programs>Accessories>ScanDisk

scan the disk

quote:I went into "Create Custom Recovery Disk" it then asks you for Symantec Recovery Location" No matter what I try it just tells me "Invalid Symantec Recovery Disk Location. Please specify a valid path to a Symantec Recovery Disk.

select standard ghost disc
do all the stuff and then select this file:C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\ghost.exe
(if you installed it some where then select that e.g.D:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\ghost.exe or C:\Program Files\starcraftmasters norton stuff\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\ghost.exe

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

my PC has not got a floppy drive, most PC within the past 2-4 years don't, I think that's what makes it so hard. I've never used ghost before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users